is your man cave up to snuff??

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It would take 400,000 rounds to make it a buck per shot, not including the actual firearm and ammo. I'd put in a bowling alley before an indoor shooting range.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've often thought about a home range but nothing that swanky. My idea is some 36" or 48" concrete culvert pipe going out to a buried blockhouse, say about 100 feet out, so things could be sighted in properly.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My parents farm has enough acreage outside of city limits that the "range" is anywhere that's safe to shoot. Lucked out in that regard. Still, most people should have a quarry or something nearby that they can shoot.

I'm far from expert, but as a layperson, it seems there's some benefit shooting a still target, but more benefit hitting something moving. Hence, my vote for a bowling alley instead of a shooting range.

That's not to dismiss the man's effort or decision to build an underground shooting range. Unconventional projects are interesting and informative.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, my range is down the hill and across the creek. Have a 10' dirt berm built up at one end of the field with wood framing in front to hang all the targets you want and then have close to 100 yards distance to the back of the field. I keep threatening to build a covered shooting porch with benches at the back end of the field.

The man cave contains all my electronic gadgets, computers and a stocked bar.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Didn't see any mention of air extraction. I'd either be wanting to be firing non toxic rounds or have soem pretty good air extraction. Last thing you want is a basement full of lead dust. In fact, these days they're saying the powder fumes are carcinogenic so you'd probably want extraction anyway both at the buillet end and at the shooters end and if going to pull the smoke away from the gun, some pretty hefty extraction at that.