Ispy monthly fees

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is ispy relevant anymore after they started charging $8 per month for remote web access with no sms credits or 70 per year with only 100 SMS Credits? http://www.ispyconnect.com/pricing.aspx
Blue iris seems to be the value leader on widows machines.
I guess if you dont need alerts or remote access it could work in a pinch. Though xprotect free is great of you dont need more than five days of recordings.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's their value prop for making money, give you the core for free, charge for the extras. Besides XProtect Go, check out Axxon Next (http://www.axxonnext.com/), has analytics and in-camera motion detect. They limit to 16 cameras but only 1TB for the free version, so depends on how much recording you do, it may be less or more than the 5 day Go version.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Axxon looks awesome. Downloading now. What is their pricing scheme for more than 1tb, is it per camera or per tb of storage? How much is it?

Reaction score
Lol, if I wouldn't have named my app "blue iris companion" I could have added support also for axxon servers :) :)

Just kidding, no plans to do such thing :D

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, if I wouldn't have named my app "blue iris companion" I could have added support also for axxon servers :) :)

Just kidding, no plans to do such thing :D
Lol, have you considered writing an app like ipcamviewer for windows phone 8?
Im loving the windows phone (lumia icon) except for 3 things.
1) encryption can only be enabled via intune, exchange server, or office 365 business exchange, but I still have not figured out how to do it. All of these cost money after the 30 day free trial.
2) no way to disable the text message preview, so everyone can see who texts you and the first few words
3) no led notification....what a silly design move ala ios....

Reaction score
No, something like ipcamviewer is not in my scope (I just needed a remote control for BI). But CameraKaze does a pretty good job on WinPhone (and RT).

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
... Besides XProtect Go, check out Axxon Next (http://www.axxonnext.com/), has analytics and in-camera motion detect. They limit to 16 cameras but only 1TB for the free version, so depends on how much recording you do, it may be less or more than the 5 day Go version.
Best news of the day! (very crummy runaround, umpteen transfers and not getting anywhere with anything kinda day)

Axxon has some neat features, I had not seen elsewhere! Like the property map with the live camera views? Gimmick probably for home use. But neat nonetheless. Plus browser clients for the various platforms (no worries on the mac end). Mobile apps. :sentimental:

I may go that route, and not send any money to synology after all (really becoming overpriced and under spec'd imo) or QNAP ( x870 PRO NAS and be stuck with the crummy mac surveillance client app).

I can see myself dig up a capable trial computer pretty soon, plop in a dedicated 1TB drive for recording space (to save the OS drive), install next, maybe a stick of RAM and spend more money on cams ;)

Sweeeeet :eek:nthego:

Thank you networkcameracritic :encouragement:

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, ... I have been playing with Axxon Next on and off a few hours the past few days, and ... I am part way there.

The program is huge (700 odd megabytes) and took a while to install too. Performance has been OK on backup system (win 7 core 2 quad ...). Next is really not as intuitive as I thought, and lacks some customizability plus wastes some space that could be better utilized when you are viewing multiple cams. It can scale up massively. Several processing servers. Several storage servers/arrays. Tons of cameras. Downside is that it is more complex to set up and rather fiddly to find certain things. Not unlike learning to use some professional adobe program ... or a program that has some legacy design issues. All things considered, it is not as straightforward as it looks. I've had a couple issues for which I searched high and low, rtfm, check online. Had to contact support, which was extremely rapid to respond, despite using a demo program, we're talking within the time frame of an hour, acknowledged reviewed setup data shared solution offered. Btw, getting support is a bit odd as you go through a Russian & English bug tracker / ticketing portal of sorts and then the login page is Russian, and then you're pretty much filing a bug report. Certainly a bit different.

Now that I have the continuous recording mystery solved, I've still got another issue where the FPS are half of what I set them to? And I've tried to setup a motion detection zone twice ... and the recording timer goes up, but there's no data in the "archive". So, I'll have to get the 250+ page manual out again. Which is very thorough but still doesn't cover every single detail.

First conclusion really is that it seems like a pro tool with tons of options that a trained professional will set up and have regular people just use on the monitoring side. I doubt the average person or homeowner would go through what looks to be a learning curve ahead. I holds promise for what I would like to do, but it really seems very time consuming and a bit needlessly complicated to setup. Certainly not something you're done with in an hour, which is what it took to download and install it, before setting up a camera. Maybe once I flip through the manual front to back and back to front again, I'll figure out what I am missing.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree with your assessment, it's very hard an unintuitive to setup but people have got it working and once working is should be fine.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That (a cloud NVR) may work for some people with limited needs, if all you need is a baby monitor or just one cam ... or someone with loads of bandwidth, but they may not be liked by their ISP.

Cloud and surveillance to me personally is a bit of no go. If you are dealing with indoor cams there's a bit of a privacy issue and where your data goes. But just practically speaking, everybody is bandwidth starved as it is with our slow asynchronous data connections. The data from a couple cam adds up really quick when you are talking internet. The data meter on into the temporary axxon server reads 1200+ KB/s continuous, for 1x3mp and 2x 720p (running at about half capacity in terms of FPS & data rate). No sweat for a fast ethernet or gigabit ethernet network, but that 1200KB/s is about over 10x what my upload speed is. From the looks of it I could just about put a single 720p H264 stream online, because it just edges over 100KB/s.

Last edited by a moderator:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
That (a cloud NVR) may work for some people with limited needs, if all you need is a baby monitor or just one cam ... or someone with loads of bandwidth, but they may not be liked by their ISP.

Cloud and surveillance to me personally is a bit of no go. If you are dealing with indoor cams there's a bit of a privacy issue and where your data goes. But just practically speaking, everybody is bandwidth starved as it is with our slow asynchronous data connections. The data from a couple cam adds up really quick when you are talking internet. The data meter on into the temporary axxon server reads 1200+ KB/s continuous, for 1x3mp and 2x 720p (running at about half capacity in terms of FPS & data rate). No sweat for a fast ethernet or gigabit ethernet network, but that 1200KB/s is about over 10x what my upload speed is. From the looks of it I could just about put a single 720p H264 stream online, because it just edges over 100KB/s.

Agreed, I think running your NVR in the cloud is pretty retarded but IF you are going to do it...there are a few ways.

alloginov

n3wb
Reaction score
I am using Axxon for quite long. Lowest level of wrong alerts in snow or rain.

alloginov

n3wb
Reaction score
Completely agree, but it is most stabile and alarm detection is uncomparable. I tried iSpy - lot of wrong alarms in rain.

ServiceXp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried Axxon, but had massive problems with just getting it to start, and actually just gave up and removed it. All the problems centered around OpenGL of all things..