Issue running 2 nic cards and remote access

Rgs

n3wb
Reaction score
I wanted to move my cameras onto a separate network. On this second network I didn't plan to have any internet connectivity. I have 2 nic cards in my Blue Iris computer. The main network is 192.168.1.X and the camera network is 192.168.9.X. The address for the Blue Iris computer are 192.168.1.99 and 192.168.9.99.

I have moved 1 camera over to the 192.168.9.X network and when I enable the nic card for this network Blue Iris sees this camera as well as the rest of the cameras on the 192.168.1.X network. When I try and access the web page or use my IPhone App I am unable to connect. When going through the remote access wizard on the page that lists the router at 192.168.9.1 even though I have the 192.168.1.99 nic card selected on the web services page.

Thanks

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a very similar setup as you:

BI PC with 2 network cards:

NIC 1: 192.168.1.130, on the main network.
NIC 2: 192.168.2.1, just the camera network with 9 cameras (192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.10)

I have attached a picture of my BI Webserver settings (located under general BI settings, the gear icon) that should hopefully help you out. The most important thing is to make sure that LAN access is bound to the adapter on your camera network (for you, 192.168.9.99) and that WAN access is bound to the main NIC (for you, 192.168.1.99).

It should also be noted that I use VPN from my mobile device to my home network as opposed to port forwarding or other methods of making a remote connection.

Attachments

Rgs

n3wb
Reaction score
I think that maybe I had 2 problems and am still trying to fix one of them. I did have some issues with my routing table. When I first hooked up the router to the second nic card It picked up a DHCP address. I changed this to a static IP without a gateway. I am still working on that issue and I may need to reload windows as I might have made things worse when trying to fix. I also did an update to Blue Iris about the same time and it appears the update may have had some issues. Locked out of webserver (Connection not private) after latest update?. Murphy was alive and well. Time will tell. I am going to remove the nic cards from device manager and then let windows reload them and see if that fixes the issues and if not will reload. That will be faster than taking time to troubleshoot. I will also roll back the version of Blue Iris I am running.

Thanks, It is nice to know that someone else is running as I planned to run without having issues.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The NIC on my camera network and all of my cameras have statically assigned IP addresses, with no gateway assigned. There is no need for a gateway as all packets stay on that subnet and don't get routed. You really shouldn't need to reload Windows.

Rgs

n3wb
Reaction score
That is the way mine is setup also, no gateway, but I didn't disable the DHCP server in the router first, hind sight is 2020. Most of the issues with windows now is self inflicted, "don't do a route -f command". Will spend a little time trying to fix it but might be faster to just reload as all I have is Blue Iris on it.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to manually manipulate your routing table at all (unless you have a special need to). Your routing table will automatically updated based on the NICs that are installed and their assigned IP addresses.

Rgs

n3wb
Reaction score
I overwrote windows 10 and that cured my self induce problems as well as removing the 192.168.9.1 gateway. I then reverted back to the earlier version of Blue Iris and I am back up and running. I will leave it running in this state for a few days to insure everything is stable