It's not going well no camera network activity but power

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I made some new cat 6 cables tested them and work fine in the cable tester. Plugged into the camera and get power but no video.

1-8 work fine in tester

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I made some new cat 6 cables tested them and work fine in the cable tester.
So you do use the 'remote' on one end and the 'master' on the other end and when you switch on the 'master' the LED's sequence with ONLY '1' lit on the 'master' and the 'remot'e at the same time, then they both go out and then ONLY '2' lights up on both the 'master' and the 'remote 'and so on down through '8', correct?
Plugged one into tester and other into camera and 1 does not highlight on the tester and others are faint.
I would not do that...why would you?
Is this a problem with the camera itself and why it's been keep loosing connection.
  • Did you terminate both end of the cable T-568B?
  • Does that cable work OK with another camera?
  • Do you have a known good cable to try with the camera, like a cable currently working on a camera?
  • I guess I'm asking what have you done to narrow down/ troubleshoot the problem before coming to the forum? :idk:

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The cable I am using is fine 1-8 match perfectly I am pretty sure it's not contacting correctly when In The camera as it's going on and off.

I connect camera working fine then tighten everything up with the waterproof connection and off the camera goes.

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In fact no it's working when it feels like it I always get power but no network like it was off most of the day and bang on it came.

Tried 3 wires I know work it's not having it I thought I fixed it and it was down to the wire but then took it out out in again and no network.

I am going to rma it if I can I have tried everything I can and grasping at straws now.

Last edited:

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
In fact no it's working when it feels like it I always get power but no network like it was off most of the day and bang on it came.

Tried 3 wires I know work it's not having it I thought I fixed it and it was down to the wire but then took it out out in again and no network.

I am going to rma it if I can I have tried everything I can and grasping at straws now.
Could be the camera's pigtail wires. I have had this issue before. Do you have another camera to try on the same circuit?

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Test the camera with a commercially made, known good, cable.
Its 100% not the wire I know this for a fact now I have tried so many with the same outcome it connects network when it wants poe is on always.

Could be the camera's pigtail wires. I have had this issue before. Do you have another camera to try on the same circuit?
I am not using the pigtail for power. I am using the switch
So you do use the 'remote' on one end and the 'master' on the other end and when you switch on the 'master' the LED's sequence with ONLY '1' lit on the 'master' and the 'remot'e at the same time, then they both go out and then ONLY '2' lights up on both the 'master' and the 'remote 'and so on down through '8', correct?

I would not do that...why would you?

• Did you terminate both end of the cable T-568B? Yes
  • Does that cable work OK with another camera? Yes
  • Do you have a known good cable to try with the camera, like a cable currently working on a camera? Yes
  • I guess I'm asking what have you done to narrow down/ troubleshoot the problem before coming to the forum? :idk: another thread I tested the camera over on a different cable worked fine for a few days put it back up worked fine again for a few days then started dropping day after day.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Its 100% not the wire I know this for a fact now I have tried so many with the same outcome it connects network when it wants poe is on always.

I am not using the pigtail for power. I am using the switch

Power/Data still goes through the rj45 pigtail.

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Power/Data still goes through the rj45 pigtail.
What do you mean test it with power through the pigtail I have tried a different switch? Or I could have an issue with the pigtail on the camera?

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Possible the pigtail/camera is bad. only way to know is try a different camera on the same circuit.

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Possibly as it's got worse over time. Massive headache with it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Possibly as it's got worse over time. Massive headache with it.
You’re having a headache because you’re not following instructions. Tony asked you a very important question did you use the 568B standard? It’s very likely you did not and you simply match the wires and that’s not how ethernet works. The cables must be put in a specific order to prevent cross talk which would create the exact problem that you are seeing.

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You’re having a headache because you’re not following instructions. Tony asked you a very important question did you use the 568B standard? It’s very likely you did not and you simply match the wires and that’s not how ethernet works. The cables must be put in a specific order to prevent cross talk which would create the exact problem that you are seeing.
Post 7 the quoted text not the best way to answer but I am on my mobile like I said I have tried lots of cables that I haven't made as well and it's the same outcome works intermittently.

Trust me I want it to be as simple as the cable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Post 7 the quoted text not the best way to answer but I am on my mobile like I said I have tried lots of cables that I haven't made as well and it's the same outcome works intermittently.

Trust me I want it to be as simple as the cable.
How long is the run? Is it solid copper or CCA - copper clad aluminium.

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cat 6 solid utp 23 awg iso/IEC outdoor cable the run is 7-10 meters pulled the cam down at the moment.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The first basic step is to test with a known, good, commercially made, cable. Otherwise you're flying blind, in the dark, with your eyes closed.

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 4 cameras on that switch including the problem camera none drop apart from that camera so cant be the switch. (although I bought another to be one the safe side)

I have tried multiple wires with the camera which has been off all morning. I have just been testing different ones, all with power but absolute no network activity.

4 hours later and a Ethernet cable I tried previously has now fired the camera up so I kept the wire as still as possible and went through the rest of the wires that did not work and everyone of them worked??

This has nothing to do with Ethernet cables must be a heat issue, circuit or wire movement do not think I can do any more, problem is it might sit like that for a day go off once and come straight back on its so unpredictable might be wind moving the wire to be honest. I think this is beyond me.

Last edited:

hermaninthehood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
did you use pass-thru connectors or standard (closed ends) you could have POE short problems with pass-thru open ends not being cut flush enough - causing them to work in some instances but not others.

Last edited:

hermaninthehood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
cheap testers (and any and all testers in most cases) will not always catch shorts to pass thru connectors (the ends). they will pass the 1-8 wires.
from everything i read above, the new cables you made was your variable. if they cameras and system worked before you used these new made cables, would suggest either your crimps were bad and the cables are no good. AND/OR after you used those bad cables you damaged the equipment with them.

i was just trying to point out there could be problems with your pass-thru connectors and POE.
there is a reason why many manufacturers and companies state "not for use with poe" or some manufacturers void warranty if they know you used these connectors.
they know and have identified people have problems with pass thru crimping and POE and shorts... because of:
usually attributed to user errors of unsharp blades, over or under size insulation/wire/conductor used with the wrong plugs/ends.

Last edited: