iVMS-4500 only working locally via wifi?

devs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’ve been wrestling to setup a couple of hikvision cameras to a ds-7604ni NVR and have ‘almost’ got them working by updating the NVRs firmware. Things are fine locally and working when connected to wifi. However when out and using iVMS-4500 I can not view? The alert notifications are coming though but no video feed.

Can anyone please suggest what I should try?

Many thanks,

Devs.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
is it safe to assume your using a ddns service, and setup port forwarding??? cause you didn't mention that... also, you need to create a second "device" in the app using the ddns and port settings, then make sure you are selecting that device to view when your off your local network

devs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Trax, thanks for the help and sorry I'm a total novice here and do not understand.

I'm pretty sure that there is no ddns service being used or port forwarding being set. I've attached a photo of my current setup if it helps any?

Many thanks,

Devs.

Attachments

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
that pic is for the NVR settings. i was talking about the APP on your phone. you need to setup a DDNS service, (no-ip.com is free, and its what i use) so that you can get a domain name that will always be tied to your external ip address. that is how you will access your network when your away from your network. i will list the steps involved and you can google how to do each one. come back here if you get stuck on something.

turn on DDNS either in your router or your NVR, and enter your no-ip account information. (this is what reports back what your ip address is)
setup a port forward in your router to forward an external port of your choosing, such as 8001, and forward it to internal port 8000 (assuming you left that the default in the NVR)
create a new "device" in your app using your new domain name and external port. you should be good to go!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
setup a port forward in your router to forward an external port of your choosing,
Hi Trax, thanks for the help and sorry I'm a total novice here and do not understand.
But - be very aware that by doing this you put the entire content of your house network at risk by exposing it to the entire internet to poke and probe.

devs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi and many thanks for the help. I've setup a no-ip account (do these expire after 30 days btw?) and am about to do the port forwarding on a BT home hub. However they dont seem to make it easy.. I need to select via the attached drop downs. Has anyone done this on one of these routers before? is it possible?

@alastairstevenson I dont think I have any other options other than to open the port... do I?

Thanks again, Devs.

Attachments

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The no-ip account (free version) does expire every 30 days, however they send you an email about a week in advance with a link to renew it for another 30 days. It's really no big deal to just keep renewing it over again