IVMS-4500 Removed from Apple App Store

luisv

n3wb
Reaction score
I can't find the app in the Apple App store within the US and when I follow weblinks, the app store says it's been removed so it seems that it was indeed affected by the Xcode Malware. Other than this tweet, I can't find any other info... anyone else? Curious as to next steps... remove the app?

https://twitter.com/daniel_bilar/status/645893314303127552?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/20/9362585/xcodeghost-malware-app-store-security

[url]https://itunes.apple.com/us/developer/hikvision-digital-technology/id358934279

[/URL]

luisv

n3wb
Reaction score
If there's already another thread, then let's condense them. Wasn't sure where to post this info, but wanted to share. I took a quick look, but didn't see anything on Hikvision's website about the app. Curious what to do? I'll remove the app from my phone for now.

luisv

n3wb
Reaction score
Yea, not much info out there yet, but for now I've removed the app from my phone.

Frankosor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same in Europe, IVMS 4500 disappeared

Last edited by a moderator:

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I saw a thing on the news this morning that Apple removed over 350 apps that had been compromised by XCode Ghost. They were mostly Chinese apps, I have no idea if this is part of the affected or not.

edit: Nevermind, I see someone posted info a few posts up :)

luisv

n3wb
Reaction score
Yea, not sure if it's affected, but since it was removed from the Apple store, my guess is it was...

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ughhhh. Just getting ready to go out of town. Really didn't want to take this off my phone right now.

Thanks for the info guys.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ugh. Hacks get more and more clever all the time. I often wish people writing malicious code like this were easier to find and prosecute.

Killswitch

n3wb
Reaction score
Hopefully Hikvision get this sorted out ASAP. :) I use mine a lot.

Has there been any news on what the Malware does as yet?

luisv

n3wb
Reaction score
Hopefully Hikvision get this sorted out ASAP. :) I use mine a lot.

Has there been any news on what the Malware does as yet?
I haven't read any updates and I checked this morning and the app still isn't available. That being said, I'm certainly not an authoritative source, so I'm sure things are being worked on, just not sure where to turn for updates.

Another reason not to buy Apple devices!
It's not fair to bash Apple as the affected app developers are to blame as they used a none-standard version of Xcode. Android and Windows have their share of malware.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Pretty bad that Hikvision have gone to a file-sharing website for a dodgy copy of Xcode.

Having said that... not surprised and doubt many on here are either. (not of malware but Hikvision doing things wrong).

Talking of malware... where's the uber over lord gone? Malware free guarantee from Hikvision but not the Chinese cameras?

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The reason why they got the XCode of Chinese servers because it is faster than getting it off official Apple servers.

It is a stuff up on their part, but what can you do.

It's kinda like downloading drivers from Gigabyte, they allow you to download off different servers in different countries. Some are really fast, but some are extremely slow. As you know the filtering in China is pretty odd.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So that explains why I saw the Hikvision app in my recycling bin on my desktop this morning. It's still installed on my iPhone and iPad though. I don't like using the Sighthound app for live viewing, but I guess if I need to, I will...

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's good news. That means an update should be coming soon, and we'll be safe again in a few days...

:)