iVMS4200 Auto-Start after Reboot

pcmcg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looking for some help configuring iVMS-4200 software.

Exactly how can I get it to startup automatically after a system reboot w/ Windows 8.1? Unfortunately, I forgot to reset my stem after a powerless a few days back and I missed some activity I wanted to capture.

Also, I'm running a headless system, so I only have RDP access to my server if that makes a difference.

pcmcg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was able to get this working, but not sure if its the best method:

1. User Account > Change User Account Control Settings > Move slider to "Never Notify"
2. Run 'netplwiz' and uncheck "users must enter a user name ..." box, click OK and set to your iVMS user
3. Right click on the storage server task icon -> autorun and make sure "autorun" is checked.
4. Reboot, log back in and use the task manager to verify that the ivms storage server is running

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It may help to add a ups power supply to keep things humming along when the power goes out.

If you don't have classic shell ... keyboard windows key + R, type CMD, enter or OK

Regarding win 8.1 logon.

Start > Run > netplwiz
Select User Account. Deselect has to logon with username and password.
Enter current password twice.

Reboot.

Hikvision storage server should start by default.

Have not found a preference to run the hikvision client at logon/startup.

[edit that didn't work ... damn win 8]

Last edited by a moderator:

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We must have been typing at the same time.

I tried to get the client to startup as well, since I view remotely, but the traditional way of creating a symlink in the startup folder didn't work.

pcmcg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks icerabbit ... I don't think I need the client running by default as long as the recording and motion capture work.

politby

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to run it as a Windows service?
I am planning to run it on a Windows 2012 server which will not have a user logged on.

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you get the iVMS-4200 running on Windows 2012 server? I know know thing about Windows Server but I've been wanting to explore it. I have a free license through school. Just been waiting to build something worthy of it.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have access to a windows server machine to try it on.
Maybe shoot a note to Synology sales or support, as a prospective customer?

I've got the recording server and streaming server at startup, but then walked away from playing with getting the client up and running with every reboot. I still have some hardware to install and other related upgraded in mind; but have had to focus on other things for a while.

JerryJonz

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how to start ivms-4200 in main view when Windows 7 boots?
Really would appreciate a good answer.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In the basic Windows task scheduler you can make a program start at start up, but you also have the option to delay the start. The options are limited, but you can choose to wait one minute or thirty minutes for example and then have it load whatever you want. For more flexibility you could use some free apps that work well, I used one of these that I'm linking below with good results on an older DVR software. It would not open the client right away as the recording service was not loaded in the background already at boot and it took a bit. I used one of these to tell it to wait three minutes after boot then start the client and it worked perfectly and they are easier to use than task scheduler.

All of these work in Windows 7 and 8.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/set-delay-time-startup-programs-windows

JerryJonz

n3wb
Reaction score
In the basic Windows task scheduler you can make a program start at start up, but you also have the option to delay the start. The options are limited, but you can choose to wait one minute or thirty minutes for example and then have it load whatever you want. For more flexibility you could use some free apps that work well, I used one of these that I'm linking below with good results on an older DVR software. It would not open the client right away as the recording service was not loaded in the background already at boot and it took a bit. I used one of these to tell it to wait three minutes after boot then start the client and it worked perfectly and they are easier to use than task scheduler.

All of these work in Windows 7 and 8.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/set-delay-time-startup-programs-windows
Thanks Razer, it was the time delay that worked.
Comes up fine now.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Awesome, I'm glad that helped you as I hoped it would. Was the basic delay in task scheduler enough or did you have to use one of the tools?

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any idea how to have Windows 7 restart it automatically if it crashes? I missed like 3 days of recording.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I just got Google Fiber and once I have time to figure out how to get their "network box" port forwarding to actually work, I will check them out. My internet is blazing fast but my LAN is now a mess.