IVS not alerting, motion too sensitive.

Reaction score
I am really struggling with setting up my Dahua cameras. Especially in the back yard, when I have motion/smart motion enabled, i get tons of false positives at night for "human" detection when there is literally nothing there. When i have IVF/trip wire enabled with the area drawn out, i get 0 notifications. I actually stood out there this evening in front of the camera and started waving. I could see myself on the iphone app, but no detection notifications. Does IVF ONLY work when someone crosses the boundary? I think i noticed the in/out boundary ln the right side of the drawing. Does that matter if i came in from the left?

I am super confused as to why i would get no notifications. Can anyone help?

Reaction score
I think i realize i'm not supposed to draw a box for tripwire but individual in/out lines. If that's the case then i would technically need a few in/out lines for an open piece of land, right? Let's say on the top, left and right of the screen. If that's the case, in the event of something like a driveway with an angled camera, am i going to get multiple notifications if multiple tripwires are crossed on a single camera? or will the system know to only notify me once?

Reaction score
I have been reading other posts on this board. Do i need to setup IVS to look like this?? Because i basically created 3 rules, one straight line on each side. Mine looks noting like this:

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For an area like that i would probably use intrusion rather than tripwire.
But you can use both.

What sort of notification are you expecting?

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am really struggling with setting up my Dahua cameras. Especially in the back yard, when I have motion/smart motion enabled, i get tons of false positives at night for "human" detection when there is literally nothing there.

I have changed my setting to a sensitivity of zero and still get human detection. I am observing the results atm. It seems to be what I want.

Because i basically created 3 rules, one straight line on each side. Mine looks noting like this:
When I experimented with it, I noticed that the camera takes a while to detect a moving object. If it has crossed the line by then, it won't work.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For an area like that i would probably use intrusion rather than tripwire.
But you can use both.

What sort of notification are you expecting?
I just want to be notified whenever someone comes into the area. If i am standing back there literally waving my hand at the device and i get 0 notifications, it seems fairly worthless...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Waving the hand won't do it. Half of your body has to cross the line.

Reaction score
Yeah i am figuring this out. The problem is, if i have zigzag lines, i get 30 notifications when someone walks across my yard. I would like to have 1 notification. It seems like smart detection would be better than IVS, but when i have smart detection on, i keep getting told that a human is detected when no one is there. This system is turning out to be really annoying to setup.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah i am figuring this out. The problem is, if i have zigzag lines, i get 30 notifications when someone walks across my yard. I would like to have 1 notification. It seems like smart detection would be better than IVS, but when i have smart detection on, i keep getting told that a human is detected when no one is there. This system is turning out to be really annoying to setup.
I'm using trip wire on my IPC-Color 4K-X for the front yard filtered for human and draw only one line and still works 95% of the time unless someone walks very fast in dark colored clothes across the line at night with Sensitivity setting 5.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From my current understanding, you would want to use IVS over SMD if humans can pass in the fov at places where you don't want them to trigger recording (like sidewalk).

If you want recordings whenever a human shows up in the fov, SMD seems to do the trick on its own.

The problem with SMD and IVS seems to me that the camera has to place "the box" around the moving object. At night, this doesn't work too well.

The advantage of IVS seems to be the ability to define sizes and distances. This can effectively rule out some objects to be falsely identified as human. Not clear if these settings are global and SMD draws on those too.

Last edited:

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got a lot of false positives at first because I still had the non-IVS motion detection still enabled in the camera. Then, in blue iris, you also have to uncheck motion sensor under the blue iris triggers for the camera.

In BI, look at the detail under Onvif triggers and make sure you're not getting an error message . You won't get any results from IVS if something is throwing errors in your triggers.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Which exact camera?

Have you performed a good tuning of the cameras picture yet? This can affect IVS triggers. See here: Wittaj Camera tuning Tips.
Put an SD card in the camera, then you can review exactly what is triggering and what isn't.
The camera needs time to "see" movement, and determine if it should trigger or not. This takes a second or two. So keep tripline and intrusion boxes away from the edges of the frame.
It will NOT trigger on waving your hand.
Show us what the camera is seeing as far as field of view.

If you have been making lots of changes, set the camera back to factory defaults and start over.