IVS Trigger

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are IVS triggers better than using the AI in BlueIris? Or do they compliment each other? Asking as the IVS triggers I have may not trigger consistently. person walks through the zig zags and it is not till they hit the 3rd or 4th zag that it lights up on the camera.

Only asking as I want to try dialing some things in with the cameras I have and want to focus in the right areas.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding Dahua IVS, whether to use BI AI is up to you, but of course, the AI in the camera may be more than sufficient for your needs without needing BI AI. Do you need the orange box around every object? Do you want to identify animals or logos? Or is just human or vehicle sufficient.

The camera AI is useful to many people, but BI has way more motion setting granularity than the cameras, and some people need that additional detail, especially if wanting AI for more than a car or person. For folks that want AI and alerts on animals or specifically a UPS truck then they need the additional AI.

There isn't really a best practice because every field of view is different and use case and needs are different.

To many here, BI motion without AI is more than adequate for what they do.

To many here, camera AI is more than adequate for what they do.

To many here, using the BI AI adds additional functionality that the above alone can not do.

It comes down to testing with each field of view and which one gives you the most consistent results.

While some of that third party stuff is cool like tagging was it a dog or a bear, I don't need all that fancy stuff. If my camera triggers BI to tag an alert for human or vehicle and BI can accomplish what I need by way of a text or email or push or whatever, that is sufficient for my needs. I just want to be alerted if a person or vehicle is on my property and the camera AI does a fine job with that.

However, I do run BI AI on one camera so that it knocks out headlight shine so that the alert image includes the vehicle. The camera AI will trigger for a car, but the alert image was always just the headlights.

The true test....I have found the AI of the cameras to work even in a freakin blizzard....imagine how much the CPU would be maxing out sending all the snow pictures for analysis to CodeProject LOL. My non-AI cams in BI were triggering all night. This picture was ran through Deepstack (without the IVS or red lines on it) and it failed to recognize a person in the picture, but the camera AI did. This pic says it all and the video had the red box over it even in complete white out on the screen:

1679354257954.png

See this thread on how using just Dahua AI may be sufficient for your needs:

Who uses Dahua AI capable cameras? Reliable AI for triggering events? Pro's/con's?

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
curious, tell me more about the process of knocking out head,llight shine.

perhaps that too is where I am a novice at best. setting different settings for different cameras and properly handling scenarios and specific use cases

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At night, my one camera, that has a straight on angle of the street to get a side profile of a car, would either find a car but the alert image would be the lightshine on the street or just a part of the vehicle, or it would trigger out nothing found due to headlight bounce off the street.

1640050464228.png

So using BI AI, I added a cancel banana in the field, so it now will go thru all the images and select the best one, which gives me the whole vehicle in the frame and it eliminated the nothing found as well, but I have to use the burn label onto image for the vehicle to be in the center of the frame, so every couple days I simply delete these out of the Alerts folder, but they remain in the thumbnail alerts. It makes for scrubbing video much quicker as I can skip looking at video of known vehicles.

1640050718951.png

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
thats pretty impressive. We will call that the more advanced bit.

I read in another post of yours that you do 24/7. Do you record 24/7 in HD (main stream) or do you utilize the secondary stream for that?

Also, when you mention scrubbing video, is it a constant effort to be reviewing footage all the time? I am bad about review and am not always in the system to do it. Probably should start more. As good as the web app is, I ought to spring for the phone app as I would likely look at alerts and footage more.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes I do 24/7 recording with continuous + triggers, so it records substream until triggered and then goes to mainstream and then back to substream.

I have spent a lot of time setting up my system to do what I want, so it is configured such that I get notifications whenever someone gets too close to my house (or in my yard depending on the time of day), but I can literally in less than 30 seconds every morning do a quick review to see if there was any suspicious activity or people walking down the sidewalk at 2am or a suspicious car go by that I need to look at more.

Obviously the street/community you live in comes into play as well. I am on a dead-end street, so not a lot of foot or vehicle traffic in the middle of the night, so it makes it easy. A lot of times it is 10 seconds. I recognize the cars as neighbors and I am done.

It is just part of my morning ritual now - throw something in the microwave and more times than not have the scrubbing done before it is finished LOL.

I have the paid app and RARELY use it. I find UI3 or the BI computer to be much faster at scrubbing video that using the paid app. The paid app is good if you want push notifications (which I have since gone to the Pushover app instead) and is good if you have two-way audio. Other than that, most feel UI3 is a better platform.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looking at my camera settings. Checking Motion means BI and AI detection and if unchecked, checking ONVIF says use the camera only?

Silly question, is there an ONVIF with AI mode? Or is that too good to be true?

UI3 is great on the computer. Less great on my phone. At least in my experience. I do not always get to the computer, so that would be the potential draw. Perhaps I should try the ipad weith the larger screen to see if it improves the experience.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If your camera has AI built in, then turning off BI motion and using ONVIF triggers will pull that into BI - but you won't get a note on if it was a person or car that triggered it - yet - but that functionality is getting close in BI.

I have tested it and for my fields of view, the camera AI works great so most of my cameras use it and not BI AI.

But for some the BI AI is better, or they want that more detailed AI functionality.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I will play with the two and see what it does. I think the biggest thing is that using ONVIF means making sure your triggers are triggering properly

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am trying to sort that balance and also getting good zig zag detection. Sometimes I see it trigger on the camera other times not.

sometimes I’ll see an object enter undetected but leaving it it triggers.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The IVS works in 3-D so you have to think about how an object crosses it.

Further the object has to have half of it cross an IVS, so in most cases people simply don't have them drawn correctly.

Post a screenshot showing your IVS rules and we can provide suggestions.

Also, are you running the camera on default/auto settings?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
IVS triggers and AI in BlueIris can work well together, but they serve different purposes. If your IVS triggers aren't consistent, AI can offer more advanced detection. Combining both can provide comprehensive surveillance, with AI enhancing accuracy, especially in complex scenarios like zig-zags. Experiment with both to find the right balance for your needs.
^ Bot

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
top right box captures cars driving past but mostly interested in the mail man and amazon who already once hit the mailbox

smaller box to the left detects cars coming up the drive but I have considered its removal.

the large box with the zig zag is the main one I expect to capture folks walkign up to the door.

1699412453385.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok the mailbox will be tough at night - without more light or IR I wouldn't put much confidence in it.

The zig-zags should catch people.

Are the intrusion boxes enter/exit and appears?

Sometimes less is more. Try to keep it to 2 or 3 IVS rules and try not to overlap. IVS-1 and IVS-4 are overtop each other and in certain situations you could be maxing out the camera processor and it hiccups just enough to not trigger.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
got it, I will move to not over lap and see if that helps. never considered the idea I was maxing things out. or maybe even confusing the camera.

you are right. the mailbox is more a daytime thing.