Jagged downsizing with 2560x1440 camera

DarylJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, new user and really liking it so far.

I have a few junk cameras and a few older Axis cameras (1280x800), but the new 2560x1440 Reolink I just added looks pretty awful. It seems that whatever downsizing is happening in multi-camera view is leaving some nasty artifacts.

Here's how it looks in a multi-cam view as compared to an Axis (problem camera on left):

It looks great when you full screen that camera, and curiously also in the camera setup screen:

Any idea how I might be able to address this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@DarylJ I noticed something similar using a 3mp dahua camera...its at a remote location so im viewing via teamviewer which makes it more difficult. Email the developer via support with screenshots. Try messing with the deinterlacing settings in the video tab in BI...see if that helps
FYI, reolink cams have issues with BI when it comes to image smearing because there is no iframe interval settings (this applies when using direct disk) there are much better options.
Side note, you can change the cameras event color so they display independently on the time line...properties>general

DarylJ

n3wb
Reaction score
FYI, reolink cams have issues with BI when it comes to image smearing
Thanks for the pointers, and that's disappointing to hear. I chose the reolink specifically because it was on the BI supported list and in the right price range/feature set/readily available.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers, and that's disappointing to hear. I chose the reolink specifically because it was on the BI supported list and in the right price range/feature set/readily available.
There are several threads discussing the reolink issues and the companies deceptive statements ....

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with reolink and everything to do with the scaling method and the stuff your camera is looking at (lots of sharp edges). Go to Blue Iris Options > Other and change the "Scaling" value.

Then please post screenshots of the results because I don't have any cameras doing this with "Fast" scaling and I'm not sure just how much effect this has.

Also note the CPU usage may go up as you improve the scaling. If the rise is unacceptable you could try increasing the size of that one camera in Blue Iris by making sure it is the first camera on the page and tweaking the layout options (in your right click menu). And/or make the Blue Iris window bigger, which may require a larger monitor.

Last edited:

DarylJ

n3wb
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with reolink and everything to do with the scaling method and the stuff your camera is looking at (lots of sharp edges). Go to Blue Iris Options > Other and change the "Scaling" value.
Unfortunately I don't have a "scaling" value in "Other" or any of the tabs as far as I can find......

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with reolink
No one said this issue is related to reolink..as indicated I have seen this with Dahua... point is reolink cameras have ongoing issues with BI and should be returned if possible..

DarylJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Holy crap, that was dumb. I was reading mouse scrolling on the left and assumed that was scrolling speed!

Worked just fine. CPU from 50% to 66% on bilinear, closer to 75% on bicubic - either works fine so I'm leaving it on bilinear. This install is on a VM so I can add more cpu if necessary so no worries there.

One note, it did not affect the web view immediately. I restarted the service and all is well.

Thanks so much bp2008!

Edit: Oh, you're the web page replacement person too - thanks for that. I installed them and they looks much nicer than the default ones.