Jerky first few frames during motion detected recording

Reaction score
I recently bought a Hik NVR 7108NI-SN (since I couldn't find a good software to manage multiple IP cams). But I'm facing problem that everytime some motion is detected, video experiences a jerk.

My setup:
NVR connected to gigabit router Netgear WNDR4700 . Also connected to same router is TPLink 100mbps POE switch connected to cameras 6 x Hik DS-2CD2010F-I
I'm using WD Purple drive in NVR

Everytime, the motion is detected, I see the 'bell' and record symbol on NVR HDMI screen. But after 1 second of those symbols being displayed I see two jerks in the video recorded and in the preview screen as well. After that jerky start, video is smooth (until bell icon disappears and then again motion is detected)
My guess was that maybe transition of variable bitrate is causing issue. But I tried several changes and still the jerk is there.

All my cams are using this setting:
Resolution 1280*960
Bitrate Constant
Video Quality Higher
Frame Rate 25 fps
Max. Bitrate 4096 Kbps
Video Encoding H.264
I Frame Interval 50
SVC Off
Smoothing 50

Even If I set to record continuous, jerk is there when the bell icon is displayed. On continuous recording, I reduced the motion sensitivity to minimum and so no motion detected, no bell icon appeared and no jerk. So something's not right with alarm logging(?)
Can someone help?

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What's the uplink speed on your PoE switch?
What proportion of the incoming bandwidth budget of your NVR is being used in normal use, and do you see any upward peaks in the traffic graph when motion detection takes place? (HDMI interface)

Reaction score
What's the uplink speed on your PoE switch?
What proportion of the incoming bandwidth budget of your NVR is being used in normal use, and do you see any upward peaks in the traffic graph when motion detection takes place? (HDMI interface)
The POE switch is 100mbps per port. Is uplink speed different? Here's the one I have http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-42_TL-SF1008P.html#specifications

As per NVR, receiving speed is a triangular waveform and varies between 25-27Mbps and sending at 800Kbps. And it continues even if I deliberately caused motion on one of the cameras (which is set to record on motion). No abnormal spike was seen. Just the triangular wave with some variations. I checked the recording and it did have a jerk at beginning. :uncomfortableness:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Try connecting the nvr to the switch as well and see if that helps.
Side note, there are many great ip camera software packages that support multiple cameras. Not sure why you could not find any.

Reaction score
Try connecting the nvr to the switch as well and see if that helps.
Side note, there are many great ip camera software packages that support multiple cameras. Not sure why you could not find any.
It won't be easy because the switch is on the floor above with a single Dlink Cat 6 23AWG wire running down to my router. NVR is connected to my main TV. If I keep NVR upstairs, I won't able to use HDMI. Given my situation currently, I can't afford much downtime for the experiment. I have troubling tenants against whom I'm planning to sufficiently build a case. They even tried to damage one of my cams using a long stick LOL and one of the cam captured it. So I'd avoid experiments that could break my current (although not perfect) situation.
Secondly, I needed a software that could playback Hik recorded files in NAS. I know iVMS 4200 does that. But my laptop's QHD+ display doesn't display it right. Opening webpages of 6 cams is inconvenient.

I'll still try if I can find a time for trying a direct connection to switch. However, I find it unlikely as I just mentioned above the network activity seems pretty consistent. Also another very weird thing to note is that the jerk comes 1 second after recording begins.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you also generating snapshots or recording to SD card on motion? If yes, try disabling that and see if it helps.

Reaction score
I've added a 19 second file as a sample. You can see the car and after about 1 second, video gives jerks twice.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so your PoE switch doesn't have a specific uplink port, and is 10/100 across the board. But your NVR LAN port is also 10/100 so a faster uplink to the Gigabit router would not change things. And the 6x4Mpbs aggregate for the cameras should not cause congestion on the 100Mbps connection.
Your NVR is rated at 100Mbps incoming bandwidth, so you are not exceeding that with the 25Mpbs showing on the traffic graph.
The effect in the video is quite distinct.

So - the question is, is it the NVR momentarily over-utilised, or is it the camera not working well?
You've said you also see the jerks in the 'preview screen' as well. Live View in the NVR, on the HDMI interface?
Are you able to watch Live View on one of the cameras to see if the same effect occurs at the source?

Reaction score
You've said you also see the jerks in the 'preview screen' as well. Live View in the NVR, on the HDMI interface?
Are you able to watch Live View on one of the cameras to see if the same effect occurs at the source?
That's a very good way to narrow down things. I just tried live view by opening cam's page and the jerk can be seen there as well! No wonder NVR is recording this. That means it has to be some setting gone bad. I'll reset one cam to see if it improves.

Reaction score
I just tried resetting the cam and just enabled motion detection from the NVR for that camera. Still the same effect. It is somehow related to motion detection and sending of that command to NVR. Disabling "Notify surveillance center" fixes the issue but it also stops NVR from starting recording. Earlier when I was directly using 1 cam with a NAS, there was no such issue :(

EDIT: Do you think some setting in my router could interfere with this? Some sort of firewall maybe?

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I disable notify surveillance center but check trigger channel, my nvr records this way

Reaction score
I disable notify surveillance center but check trigger channel, my nvr records this way
I was talking about the "notify surveillance centre" option on cam's page. If I disable it, NVR stops recording. On my NVR however, notify surveillance centre is unticked.
After trying every damn setting, I think it is the NVR which is maybe getting overloaded since it is not letting cameras do the motion detection. But somehow, that jerk is seen on camera live preview as well (I have no idea why) Camera individually was working fine when I had motion detection on it enabled while recording in a NAS. So is there any way I could force motion detection on Camera and not on NVR. While NVR would simply record the event?