Jerky, late, and disappearing recordings 8MP Hikvision

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is a rebranded Hikvison camera that Nelly's sells as model NSC-2X8-DM. It's an 8MP 2.8mm Turret. I've had this camera for over a year. Lately I can't seem to get it to record smooth video. Images are jerky, they pause , they jump/skip, or the image simple disappears. I have multiple cameras. I can see a car or person on a 3MP Hikvison but the car or person does not show up on the 8MP. If it does show up, it is often seconds behind and is jerky. I've adjusted settings in Blue Iris and in the camera via web browser but can't seem to find a setting that works. Restarting the PC (an i7 Dell) or restarting the camera, seems to help briefly (I think).
I didn't have this problem a while ago, and I have not changed settings when this started happening.
I just now installed the latest BI software (can't find Help, about) so can't tell you the version. But it did not help. Perhaps I need to roll back 2 versions? Maybe the previous update introduced the problem?
Camera setting via browser:
Resolution 3840x2160
Bitrate: variable
Video quality: Medium
Frame rate: 20 fps (I changed this to 15 but no help).
Max, bitrate: 16384
Video encoding: H.264 (I know there was/is an issue with H.265).
H.264+: Off
Profile: main profile (I have never messed with profiles)
I frame interval: 50
SVC: Off
Smoothing: 20

Any ideas?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a rebranded Hikvison camera that Nelly's sells as model NSC-2X8-DM. It's an 8MP 2.8mm Turret. I've had this camera for over a year. Lately I can't seem to get it to record smooth video. Images are jerky, they pause , they jump/skip, or the image simple disappears. I have multiple cameras. I can see a car or person on a 3MP Hikvison but the car or person does not show up on the 8MP. If it does show up, it is often seconds behind and is jerky. I've adjusted settings in Blue Iris and in the camera via web browser but can't seem to find a setting that works. Restarting the PC (an i7 Dell) or restarting the camera, seems to help briefly (I think).
I didn't have this problem a while ago, and I have not changed settings when this started happening.
I just now installed the latest BI software (can't find Help, about) so can't tell you the version. But it did not help. Perhaps I need to roll back 2 versions? Maybe the previous update introduced the problem?
Camera setting via browser:
Resolution 3840x2160
Bitrate: variable
Video quality: Medium
Frame rate: 20 fps (I changed this to 15 but no help).
Max, bitrate: 16384
Video encoding: H.264 (I know there was/is an issue with H.265).
H.264+: Off
Profile: main profile (I have never messed with profiles)
I frame interval: 50
SVC: Off
Smoothing: 20

Any ideas?
This is 100 percent user error... bitrate too high....iframe interval set incorrect... likely other issues... version is in blue iris options about... there is no issue with 265..the issue is with 265 hardware acceleration...what i7 do you have? What is the cpu consuption? See wiki on proper setup..

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman,

Thanks for the quick reply.
BI 4.7..3.2 x64
MY i7 Dell was a model recommended to me by you a couple of years ago, a 9020 Optiplex i7. I can get you more details on the PC if that is important.
CPU consumption, according the the info bar at the bottom of the BI window is low 30's to as high as 58% (a few minutes of watching it), but mostly in the 30's. 1 8MP, and 4 3MP cameras.
I'll search for the Wiki. I have no idea of what settings are best. I don't tend to mess with them because I don't understand what most of them do. :)

Last edited:

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Direct to disc was not set for this camera, it must have reset somehow. as it was not jerky for the last year or so, and I'm sure I set it to direct to disc. But the important thing is the problem has been identified and fixed. The other 4 cameras remained set to direct to disc.The images on the 8MP are now smooth. I will go through the rest of the WIKI and make adjustments as noted.

Thanks Fenderman!

Last edited:

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looking to contribute additional funds to this site for all the valuable information that is provided. But i don't see a link anywhere. ???