Jerky recorded footage

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When BI is recording a video stream if configured correctly it will not do much processing, It just takes the video an put it on the disk. If you are doing motion detection it will decode and process some of the stream (limit decoding unless required) . On play back it must decode the complete stream.

So I agree with looney2ns you are over loading the PC.

Do you have the jerky problem on the other 2MP camera.
Did you try setting the 5mp camera to a 1920x1080 setting and see what happens.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the NVR i have seen NVRs that say the can do 4k, but when you look at them close it is only on one channel at a low frame rate.

I have a good PC that I picked up on EBay for less than $200 (i7-4790 HP elitedesk tower) windows 10 pro. I added an SSD (240GB) and a 4 TB purple drive (about $150)

garmcqui

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hmmm, you mention “limit decoding unless required” - I don’t have that feature enabled, as I rely on BI’s motion detection, and I read that enabling this can mess it up - or should I have it enabled?
No I think the other 2mp cams are ok. Will try reducing the hikvision’s resolution to test.
Thanks

Last edited:

garmcqui

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The Blue drive is a “desk top” rated drive. It is not designed to spin 24/7, and be constantly writing. There is a good chance of a failure. It would be a bummer to need footage, only to discover the drive has failed. The Purple drive is designed to spin 24/7, and favors throughput. That Blue drive takes data into the buffer, checks the data for errors, then sends it off to the disk. That is a lot of overhead. The Purple drive doesn’t care about accuracy. It just sucks it in and pushes it on to the disk. Its possible that the choppiness is from the Blue HD trying to concentrate on the data that is constantly flowing in, and having a hard time keeping up with reading the data that your trying to stream back.
Actually, just checked and the drive is listed in device manager as a "WD20EURX". Looked back through emails and this is the drive I bought... Western Digital WD20EURX 2TB CCTV/Surveillance Internal Hard Drive

So, although it's not a WD Purple, it is listed as a WD surveillance drive, so should be ok, no?