JideTech 5MP IP POE Night Vision Loss

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BV tech switch's have been proven around here to not be reliable. The power supplies in them are weak.
I would avoid them.
Stick with Netgear, Cisco, TP-Link, and the like.

JideTech has proven to be bottom of the barrel equipment.
If you expect reliability, then avoid.
Stick with Dahua or Hikvision cams, international versions.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
When it fails, I cannot hardly see anything, just black. The next time I get a failure, I will post a screen shot (picture worth a 1K words).
Next time that it does it, go into the camera setup and change whichever of those settings controls whether it's in Auto/Color/B&W. See if switching to B&W lets you see anything.

Also looks like your shutter setting is 1/2000? If so, then that's going to be a very dark image even under IR if nothing in the image that would be lighted or reflected. That's in the range of what we'd typically use for LPR and see pretty much nothing but car lights and the tag. But I don't know how yours does things. Is there a profile setting that changes things for day/night?

John7656

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, here is an update. I had one of the cameras exhibit the issue overnight. I have included two pictures, one working normally and the other with the issue. Something interesting to note is in the normal picture, you can see the IR lighting up the other end of the yard (right hand side, toward the other end of the house). In the problem image, you do not see the IR even in that area. This goes along with my observation that I could see the red IR LEDs even though the IR was not showing up in the camera's image. To me, this points to either the IR cut is intermittently not working or it "thinks" it is in daylight mode.

So at this point, I have enough information that y'all have given me to do some trouble shooting. However, due to the time involved to change one item or parameter, and waiting 2-3 days to see if that corrects the issue, this will probably take me a couple of weeks to exhaust all of the changes I have in mind.

I did measure the power consumption of a camera last night when it was in IR mode and it pulled 4.5W, which is within the specs. Thankyou everyone for all of the suggestions. I will update this thread as soon as I have anything to report.

Attachments

John7656

n3wb
Reaction score
That dark picture is in color, so it is dark because there isn't enough light.

You need to force it into B/W and infrared at night.
Agreed. I need to figure out how to do that without having the IR LEDs on all the time. And along with that, what is causing it to go into daytime mode in the first place? This is what I will be working on. At this point, I do not think it is power related, but I will unplug 2 of the 4 items on the 4-port POE switch to prove that. When it works, it really lights up the place well, I am pleased with that part.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Naaa... wouldn't be working like that if it were power. It most likely would be not coming up or would be up and down as it tries and fails.

Again, don't know that cam and how the settings work but maybe try forcing it to BW and IR on when it's not working. If it switches over OK then probably not the IR filter being stuck. More likely something related to the switchover either sensing when it needs to change or some schedule/profile setting (which I don't see from your screen capture but could be there somewhere else I guess). Maybe try resetting again and going back to defaults and if that doesn't do it change the IRCut setting to the extreme end and see if that affects things.

John7656

n3wb
Reaction score
I guess this will be the last update for a while. I have been adjusting some settings in the cameras directly and I have improved the issue, but it is still there. I thought I had 2 of 3 working reliably, but this AM I found another doing the same thing. So at this point, I feel sure that this need a Firmware fix. I will be opening up a ticket with the seller, but I suspect this will not be a quick response. I thank everyone for their help, ideas, and suggestions. I will update this thread when I have something to add.

John7656

n3wb
Reaction score
I've gone through the settings and have a pretty good feel for them (they are doing better than before). Once I go as far as I can, I will do a quick write-up on them with screen shots for anyone else in the future.

As far as firmware, I will only be upgrading FW provided by the manf. I have a fairly severe hearing impairment and when I was on their support site earlier, it looked like they wanted to call me for support. Between my hearing and their (assumed) English, I did not continue. However, I am going to try again, explain my hearing issue, and request support be only via email. We will see haw that works.
firmware could brick the cam. you shoyld probably navigate thru every menu and find out what every setting is for

Gius

n3wb
Reaction score
Next time that it does it, go into the camera setup and change whichever of those settings controls whether it's in Auto/Color/B&W. See if switching to B&W lets you see anything.

Also looks like your shutter setting is 1/2000? If so, then that's going to be a very dark image even under IR if nothing in the image that would be lighted or reflected. That's in the range of what we'd typically use for LPR and see pretty much nothing but car lights and the tag. But I don't know how yours does things. Is there a profile setting that changes things for day/night?
I'm sorry if I'm referring to this discussion; I have the same cam and by bringing the shutter, at night, for example, to 1/100 the image becomes very dark. In your opinion why? I would like to point out that I can only act on exposure, shutter and ircut, I cannot set anything else (for example: gamma, gain). Thanks if you want to reply. Cordiality

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm sorry if I'm referring to this discussion; I have the same cam and by bringing the shutter, at night, for example, to 1/100 the image becomes very dark. In your opinion why? I would like to point out that I can only act on exposure, shutter and ircut, I cannot set anything else (for example: gamma, gain). Thanks if you want to reply. Cordiality
Because the sensor used in the cam isn't sensitive enough to be brighter at that exposure setting. If you can't adjust gain then maybe brightness/contrast? But that and gain are only going to go so far. If it's too dark at 1/100, then step it back to 1/60. That still should be OK for most purposes. You can try adding more IR if you can.