JideTech [Update] 5MP Outdoor PTZ POE Camera
JideTech 5MP POE Camera Humanoid Detection PTZ Camera (P1 Plus-5X-5MP

Blue Iris V 5.7.4.2
Device information from camera setup info
DeviceIP – IPCAM
Device Type - C6F0SoZ3N0PgL2
Software Version - V24.1.11.15.3-20220113
Web Version - V3.0.7.1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all, I am experiencing a problem that I have not had any success in resolving. I have three, 5MP IP POE dome cameras that for the most part, I am very happy with. I got these from Amazon I am having an issue that happens sometimes overnight (not every night, every other night to every third night). What happens is I loose IR capability. I have gone outside and looked at the camera and I can see the red IR LEDs, but I do not have the video lit up on the screen; it is as if the IR LEDs are out (I can just make out a few details on the screen, so I have not lost the video feed). I have tried resetting the camera, both through BI and through the camera’s web interface without success. If I power off / on (unplug to reboot) the camera, that will bring the IR night vision back. I have two cameras powered by a 4-port POE switch and the third one powered by a POE inserter. I have accessed the camera through the web interface and the night vision is lost there as well. So at this point it would seem that this is a camera issue, but I find it hard to believe all three new cameras would be experiencing the same issue and for there not to be a FW update to correct this issue.

One potential issue is I have the cameras configured in BI as Generic / ONVIF *RTSP H.264/H.265/MJPEG/MPEG4. This is what BI came up with as this is what BI thought the camera type was. I tried to configure them as JideTech, but the only options were either H.265 or P14A-4X-5MPW and neither option worked at all (loss of video).

I have tried to see if JideTech had any newer software, but I did not see anything other than a how to install the camera guide. I have one other similar camera also configured as Generic/ONVIF *RTSP H.264/H.265/MJPG/MPEG4 and it seems to work fine. The information on it is as follows:
Kernel Version Linux 3.18.30 #20 PREEMPT Wed Jan 15 12:27:54 CST 2020 armv7l
Firmware Version MC500L_IR_c0_AF_V0_BU_SMW-RTMP-GB-DH-H5 V3.0.4.1 build 2021-03-27 14:52:37

Web Version 2020-07-02 10:35:32
So is there anyone out there that has any ideas as to what might be the issue? I have done some research both here and on the web, but have not found anything that seem to reflect my problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you hear an audible click when you cover the visible light sensor (photocell) on the front of the cam? When you do and if it's working correctly, the mechnical IR-cut filter is supposed to open and allow IR into the image sensor for nighttime. In the daytime the IR-cut is lowered to keep IR out.

Because you can barely make out an image at night I'm thinking the IR LED's are working (as you said) BUT...the IR filter is not opening up to allow all of the IR into the image sensor.

If so, maybe a sharp rap on the side of the cam will free it up. If that's true, something is likely binding the filter mechnically inside the cam, such as oxidation, corrosion, etc.

John7656

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you hear an audible click when you cover the visible light sensor (photocell) on the front of the cam? When you do and if it's working correctly, the mechnical IR-cut filter is supposed to open and allow IR into the image sensor for nighttime. In the daytime the IR-cut is lowered to keep IR out.

Because you can barely make out an image at night I'm thinking the IR LED's are working (as you said) BUT...the IR filter is not opening up to allow all of the IR into the image sensor.

If so, maybe a sharp rap on the side of the cam will free it up. If that's true, something is likely binding the filter mechnically inside the cam, such as oxidation, corrosion, etc.
I will try that tomorrow. Thanks

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Or maybe it's switching to a day mode for some reason. When you can barely make things out are they black and white as with IR on or do you see white lighting?

John7656

n3wb
Reaction score
802.3at compliant Switch in use?
That was a good question. I got this switch through Amazon I have used 2 of these switches at our church without any issue, which is why I am using this one at our house.

It is advertised as 802.3at and 60W power capability. I reviewed the power consumption of the camera (link above) and it states 3W(8W fill light on). By 8W light on I assume that means the IR LEDs are on. That being the case, 3 cameras at 8W is 24W. There is also a POE WiFi access point connected to this switch as well. I do not know what the power consumption is, but I will check that sometime today. I might make a "breakout Ethernet cable so that I can measure the actual power consumption as well as the voltage (and if there is any voltage drop). The fourth camera is not connected to the switch, but connects to a single POE inserter. I just checked the power supply for that device and its output is 48VDC @ 15W and states it is 802.3at as well. So good idea, I had not thought to verify those specifics. I will still make a breakout cable to verify that power is not an issue. Thanks

John7656

n3wb
Reaction score

John7656

n3wb
Reaction score
I have not changed any setting here, so these should be the default setting. Honestly, I am not sure what changing some of the settings would do. Any thoughts?
One more thing. I have not previously mentioned it (because it was not a problem), but I have a different model IP POE camera in the garage. It is connected to the POE switch (and it works fine). Here are the image setting on it for a reference if that helps. This is also the default setting.

I checked on the WiFi AP power consumption (it is connected to the POE switch) and it is 2W, so this should be well within the switch's rating.

Attachments

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I have not changed any setting here, so these should be the default setting. Honestly, I am not sure what changing some of the settings would do. Any thoughts?
Maybe try changing the value for IRCut and see if that makes an difference. Try halving it or doubling it.

Again, when you can 'barely see' do you see an IR image or color?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
802.3AT spec calls for 30 watts per port. hooking up 2 ptz's to a switch with a max rating of 60Watts would leave no room for error. If you disconnect one PTZ and the problem goes away. theres your answer.

John7656

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe try changing the value for IRCut and see if that makes an difference. Try halving it or doubling it.

Again, when you can 'barely see' do you see an IR image or color?
When it fails, I cannot hardly see anything, just black. The next time I get a failure, I will post a screen shot (picture worth a 1K words).

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If I had that setup, and that issue, I would personally have a more robust switch that is not suspect, to even begin to start trouble shooting, or remove 1 device and see if the remaining devices become trouble free.

John7656

n3wb
Reaction score
802.3AT spec calls for 30 watts per port. hooking up 2 ptz's to a switch with a max rating of 60Watts would leave no room for error. If you disconnect one PTZ and the problem goes away. theres your answer.
I can try that after changing the IRCUT value. I have checked the power on one of the three cameras and I got 2.3W idle daytime mode and 12.%W on power on and startup.