Junction Box for the 70mm Square Mount Cameras

Rich.L

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone found a junction box (besides the PFA121) to mount cameras such as the IPC-B5442-ZE??? The mounts are on a 70mm square pattern and the diagonal distance is 100mm which is just under 4 inches.

Ideally I am looking for a junction box that is 1.25 to 1.5 inches deep to sit behind a vinyl siding block.

If I can't find a suitable junction box I am probably going to try and cobble together some coupling nuts and some wood screw threaded studs to give me something I can drill into the sheeting of my house, mount the siding block and then mount the camera. I would probably use loctite on the coupling nut to machine screw interface then antisieze on the screw threads to mount the camera to the coupling nuts.

If you guys have other suggestions please let me know (the camera MUST be mounted in the area of the siding block I linked above).

Rich.L

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I looked at those in HD today. They aren't large enough for the bullet camera I bought. I was hoping that there is a 4.5 or 5 inch junction box i could use.

It would be nice if the cameras were designed to fit on a standard junction box.

Rich.L

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No problem with the 4 open areas when the square base of the camera mount is attached to the round box?

Rich.L

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No problem with the 4 open areas when the square base of the camera mount is attached to the round box?
No, the junction box will be under the vinyl block. I will drill 4 locations in the vinyl block for the mounting screws and then one larger hole for the cables to pass through like in this YouTube video

Rich.L

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just wanted to follow up and show how this looks. The junction boxes are screwed to the OSB and the vinyl block is installed mostly to manufacturer recommendations (way better than the contractor who built my house).

I have 9 sets of flood lights around the house all tied to the same circuit and on 2/3 way switches so all of the lights can be turned on at once. I do not have motion detectors on these lights.

Attachments

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's pretty nice and clean! I'd like to install something similar, but horizontally...where do you find mfg spec instructions?

Rich.L

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
As you're screwing the cameras into these mounting blocks, aren't you still applying a bit of pressure onto the mounting block (creating pressure marks on the siding itself) as you're securing / screwing the camera into the wood? I'm surprised not to see any crease marks on the siding. I'm not a fan of cutting around the siding to retrofit mounting blocks. If these mounting blocks simply snap into place, I'm still wondering how the camera is able to secure itself.

This is the URL to the brand I picked up.

Your local box store will have some in store and on line also.

Rich.L

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As you're screwing the cameras into these mounting blocks, aren't you still applying a bit of pressure onto the mounting block (creating pressure marks on the siding itself) as you're securing / screwing the camera into the wood? I'm surprised not to see any crease marks on the siding. I'm not a fan of cutting around the siding to retrofit mounting blocks. If these mounting blocks simply snap into place, I'm still wondering how the camera is able to secure itself.
The camera and the light are mounted to their respective junction boxes which are hidden under the vinyl siding mounting block. Check out the YouTube video linked in post #6. The vinyl siding block is nothing more than a spacer (washer) between the junction boxes and the camera/light.

I had the original siding block installed when the house was built. The vinyl siding blocks are relatively straight forward to install as a retrofit item if you take your time, measure twice and cut once.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Will this work with the Dahua PFA130E Junction box? I feel like its diameter is slightly wider than the typical vinyl siding :)

The camera and the light are mounted to their respective junction boxes which are hidden under the vinyl siding mounting block. Check out the YouTube video linked in post #6. The vinyl siding block is nothing more than a spacer (washer) between the junction boxes and the camera/light.

I had the original siding block installed when the house was built. The vinyl siding blocks are relatively straight forward to install as a retrofit item if you take your time, measure twice and cut once.

Rich.L

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Will this work with the Dahua PFA130E Junction box? I feel like its diameter is slightly wider than the typical vinyl siding :)
It was not something that worked for my setup as I wanted the junction box behind the vinyl siding block, and I don't think these had the 70mm mounting holes. The PFA130E requires the front face to be accessible.

The inside dimensions for the vinyl block are 5 3/4in x 9 3/4in x 1 1/2in. As long as the PFA130E is smaller than 5.75 inches you can cut a corresponding opening in the vinyl siding block if it fits your needs.