Junction boxes and rain

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just fried my Dahua SD59225U-HNI ($500) when the tornadoes came through the Dallas area, water got into the junction box. I thought it was sufficiently sealed, and I had wrapped the connection with electrical tape. Had I not tightened the cable gland, the water would have drained out.

How should I have installed this? I had gaskets on the back of the box, and between the box and the camera stem. Maybe needed to silicone around the box inlet hole.

Also, Andy does not have spare parts for it. Does anyone else have a source for spare parts? I assume I have to replace the entire POE module.

Thanks for your feedback...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hi @Optimus Prime

This is how I like to do it:

1) a little Di-electric gel in the RJ45 socket before connecting the cables.
2) seal the cat5e/6 connection with silicone stretch plumbing tape or coax seal ( electrical tape will not provide sufficient water resistance )
3) "n" shaped bead of silicone caulk around the top of the junction box ( I also put the same around the inlet hole ) where the box mates with the wall and the camera mates with the junction box.
4) make certain the junction box can drain water out.
5) place the connect at the top of the junction box

oh and I also use #2 on the extra power connection of the camera.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just fried my Dahua SD59225U-HNI ($500) when the tornadoes came through the Dallas area, water got into the junction box. I thought it was sufficiently sealed, and I had wrapped the connection with electrical tape. Had I not tightened the cable gland, the water would have drained out.

How should I have installed this? I had gaskets on the back of the box, and between the box and the camera stem. Maybe needed to silicone around the box inlet hole.

Also, Andy does not have spare parts for it. Does anyone else have a source for spare parts? I assume I have to replace the entire POE module.

Thanks for your feedback...
Will it work if you use the 24vac power feed and the brick it came with? IE bypass the POE power.
If any wires are exposed outside of the J-box, make sure you have a drip loop in the cable.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hi @Optimus Prime

This is how I like to do it:

1) a little Di-electric gel in the RJ45 socket before connecting the cables.
2) seal the cat5e/6 connection with silicone stretch plumbing tape or coax seal ( electrical tape will not provide sufficient water resistance )
3) "n" shaped bead of silicone caulk around the top of the junction box ( I also put the same around the inlet hole ) where the box mates with the wall and the camera mates with the junction box.
4) make certain the junction box can drain water out.
5) place the connect at the top of the junction box

oh and I also use #2 on the extra power connection of the camera.
Superb information! I just completely silicone sealed one of mine so will need to make a little hole in the bottom for any moisture to get out!

Arjun

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep, and surprisingly, its super easy to drill into these junction boxes, effortlessly

I usually drill a very (1/16") small weep hole towards the bottom of the box to allow any condensation that builds up to drain.