Just another newbie

Thirdson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Technically, my third post, but announcing another newbie to the site.

My first thought, good gosh this site is huge and chuck full of information.

Second thought. Finding it all can be a challenge, a symptom of success.

Third thought, most of technology today does not use words, just initials, and most of the time, I have no idea what people are talking about. Is there a rundown somewhere of what all those initials mean? I've learned some, but all too often I'm still in the dark. Which leaves all the valuable information here somewhat less than valuable to those who need it most.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Start slow and learn before spending money.

Read the Cliff Notes located in the wiki.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, this is one of the kindest technical forums I have seen for new members.

Sammyf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also, check out the part of the forum with camera captures. There’s some long threads about quality of consumer grade cameras and about importance of focal length. And nice examples of what forum members have recorded.

It takes time to learn this stuff (prolly a never ending journey), but once you do, you’ll have much better results than going with random camera kit. Bad side is that from there within you’ll feel urgent need to facepalm, when someone shows you a static picture and tells how great it is :highfive: :D Also, good setup takes some money, but you can build the system slowly and at least you can identify someone from the records (if that is what you’re aiming at).

Edit, the links to my favorite topics:

Last edited:

Thirdson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This list is pretty comprehensive ==>> Glossary / Acronyms for Video Surveillance
Beautiful, thanks. I recognize many of those, know what some stood for. I've still seen some initials used here that aren't on the list.o_O

Is Shit-ton in the Glossary yet? @samplenhold said it was an IP Cam Talk technical term.
Finally, a term I already comprehend!:cool:

Also, check out the part of the forum with camera captures. There’s some long threads about quality of consumer grade cameras and about importance of focal length. And nice examples of what forum members have recorded.

It takes time to learn this stuff (prolly a never ending journey), but once you do, you’ll have much better results than going with random camera kit. Bad side is that from there within you’ll feel urgent need to facepalm, when someone shows you a static picture and tells how great it is :highfive: :D Also, good setup takes some money, but you can build the system slowly and at least you can identify someone from the records (if that is what you’re aiming at).

Edit, the links to my favorite topics:

I actually saw those two already, but when I wanted to refer back to one of them, I couldn't find it. :banghead: As I said, the problem with success....

Thirdson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
:welcome:

Start slow and learn before spending money.

Read the Cliff Notes located in the wiki.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, this is one of the kindest technical forums I have seen for new members.
Thanks and too late. Bought an 6 camera kit to start, added cameras, needed a bigger recorder, now adding more cameras, which in bench testing didn't plug n play as the first ones did, in searching for information, found this place, but did manage to get everything working over a couple week fiddle time. That's my history in a single run on sentence.

I hate to ask a question that's been asked a hundred times before, so I cover some of the archives first. Lurk a while. One can learn more by keeping his mouth shut and listening as one can by talking. Yeah, I say that better than I do it. :oops:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks and too late. Bought an 6 camera kit to start, added cameras, needed a bigger recorder, now adding more cameras, which in bench testing didn't plug n play as the first ones did, in searching for information, found this place, but did manage to get everything working over a couple week fiddle time. That's my history in a single run on sentence.

I hate to ask a question that's been asked a hundred times before, so I cover some of the archives first. Lurk a while. One can learn more by keeping his mouth shut and listening as one can by talking. Yeah, I say that better than I do it. :oops:
Dare we ask what camera kit you bought?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Everybody should be forced to start out with my Nightowl analog DVR for a month....and the App that rarely connects so as to appreciate better systems, and input from they guys in the forum. ( like me)
I just happen to have a Donor Nightowl DVR and 4 cameras, that should be stamped "IPCamTalk College Use Only", It's like going on KP and peeling potatoes when your in Basic. :)
You don't know what your missing until experience the limitations of Analog system and see how much more tunable a good IP Cam is.
Also when you buy some of these kits, you get Rodeo'ed into the marketing gimmick of " only works with " perhaps 2 models of their cameras.

Thirdson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dare we ask what camera kit you bought?
Of course, most people accuse me of too much information.

It was an EZVIZ kit of 6 analog 1080p cameras with the CS-X5 Series 8 channel recorder. I've added 4 more inexpensive (I really can't afford "good" stuff) 1080P analog cameras of various brands and none have the picture quality of the cameras that came with the kit.

When I added the 9th and 10th cameras, I purchased a Camius hybrid DVR. Up to that point, everything was plug and play, no issues.

When I wanted to cover a new locking mailbox we're putting in (neighbors messed with our mail) the most optical zoom for the buck I could find was a network PTZ, and that's when the problems started..... Unable to get it to work, and being a little ticked off, I ordered an analog PTZ. Before that arrived, I finally got the network one working, and of course the analog PTZ controls wouldn't work until I fiddled with it a couple of weeks. Another week to turn off the "smart" part of the network PTZ, as it deduced every little movement was a break in, even running the pan control. It hollered, "You have broken into the citizens contrailia, please leave", repeatedly, almost constantly. Don't need that outside the bedroom window every time a deer walks by, or the wind moves a branch.

The extra PTZ is no problem, I have a good spot for each of the PTZ's to go. Along with 3 more cameras, bringing the total up to 15; 13 analogs and 2 network. All the result of a robbery.

Generally speaking, technology does not like me, and the feeling is the returned. That's why moving up from plug n play analog was a big step, and a huge headache, for me.

Thirdson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcomes.

Wellll..... I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but I don't see Blue Iris in my future. For one thing, I've read and looked, but I fail to see how I could use it. I've also read about security recommendations. I have my own type of secure system. All cameras are hardwired to the recorder, with an HDMI cable to the tv for viewing. End of system. I did have to plug into the home network to adjust the network camera's settings, a nightmare in itself for me, and once settings were changed, unplugged from the network.

For those who say, "But what about viewing on your phone?" I answer with, the only phone I use is hardwired to the wall, and doesn't have a screen to view anything on. It's not even in my name. For the last 15 years I can truthfully say, "I do not have a phone." There is a phone I can use, but it's not mine.

I've seen way too many "I hacked my neighbors cameras" to ever trust being connected to any network. Most of the home network is hardwired as well, my only wish is, that everything could be hardwired, get rid of wifi entirely.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcomes.

Wellll..... I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but I don't see Blue Iris in my future. For one thing, I've read and looked, but I fail to see how I could use it. I've also read about security recommendations. I have my own type of secure system. All cameras are hardwired to the recorder, with an HDMI cable to the tv for viewing. End of system. I did have to plug into the home network to adjust the network camera's settings, a nightmare in itself for me, and once settings were changed, unplugged from the network.

For those who say, "But what about viewing on your phone?" I answer with, the only phone I use is hardwired to the wall, and doesn't have a screen to view anything on. It's not even in my name. For the last 15 years I can truthfully say, "I do not have a phone." There is a phone I can use, but it's not mine.

I've seen way too many "I hacked my neighbors cameras" to ever trust being connected to any network. Most of the home network is hardwired as well, my only wish is, that everything could be hardwired, get rid of wifi entirely.
I am curious how you browse the internet? Do you go to a cafe or library and pay for time with cash?

Thirdson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am curious how you browse the internet? Do you go to a cafe or library and pay for time with cash?
Laptop with Linux Mint, which doesn't have an ethernet port, hence, why I have to have wifi. The only things that use the wifi are my laptop, an iPad, and a wireless printer. Everything else is hardwired. I've found hard wiring is easier to connect, more reliable, and faster, so it's my preference. Technology hates me, and the feeling is mutual. ;)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can still do that with BI lol and just pull the internet cable

Thirdson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can still do that with BI lol and just pull the internet cable
Correction, technological savvy people can do that with BI.:rofl: I use Linux because it's basically the same as using winders 95, and there is a reason for that.:blankstare:

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Understood - you are worried about the security risks associated with new technology. It's actually ironic because most of us here are in a similar boat - we don't trust our cameras, don't trust port forwarding, etc etc. We find safe harbor in the configuration and control that we have over our systems and take many precautions to isolate the outside world from our servers & cameras. Some of us take even further steps to prohibit our servers from talking to the internet, other subnets, or vlans. I hope you are able to find a solution that fits your technological comfort though :)

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
It would probably be difficult accessing BI over dial up, anyways.