Just bought these: T5442 &HDW5231R Need help setting up

RoysWing

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all! Long time lurker here and finally pulled the trigger on one of each from Empire: The T5442 and HDW5231R

I can get my new Dell to recognize the cameras in the config tools, but cannot get any video.
I believe I am having IP issues but cannot figure out for the life of me what to do next.

Yes, I have searched and scoured the forums and google for everything, but just not having any luck,

Anyone able to assist me either on here or PM? My Dell PC and camera are on the same POE switch. The Dahua tool finds the camera and I was able to unitize them, but cannot view anything.
Also, Blue Iris cannot pick anything up.

Thanks in advance!

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Make sure the dell is configured as on the 192.168.1.X network. The cams will default to 192.168.1.108 for their IP. Have you gotten past that stage yet?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How are you trying to see the video, what software ?

If you are using a browser use Internet Explorer or PaleMoon 32. Edge, chrome, Firefox, safari are enforcing security that may prevent the video from the camera being seen.

RoysWing

n3wb
Reaction score
Make sure the dell is configured as on the 192.168.1.X network. The cams will default to 192.168.1.108 for their IP. Have you gotten past that stage yet?
Hey Mikey, Thanks for your reply I did not change the dell to that different IP. I saw the cam was set to that IP, and saw something where someone said change it to 10.0.0.1
It does detect it, but I cant do anything with it.

I'm so lost on where to go from here.

RoysWing

n3wb
Reaction score
How are you trying to see the video, what software ?

If you are using a browser use Internet Explorer or PaleMoon 32. Edge, chrome, Firefox, safari are enforcing security that may prevent the video from the camera being seen.
I am trying to either see video in IE, from the Dahua tool, or trying to have BI load it. So far, its all unsuccessful.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Need a little more info here. Did you change the IP of the camera and plug it and your dell back onto your home network? What happens if you browse to http://<ip-of-the-camera> ?? Do you get a login prompt?

RoysWing

n3wb
Reaction score
Need a little more info here. Did you change the IP of the camera and plug it and your dell back onto your home network? What happens if you browse to http://<ip-of-the-camera> ?? Do you get a login prompt?
Sure. Yes, the IP was changed several weeks ago when I last messed with everything to 10.0.0.1. When I go to the browser, nothing happens. It does not load up.
The Dahua tool does show the initiated camera, with that IP, but no video.

Even with the stock IP when I first plugged it in, I still did not get any video.

I have not changed any IP addresses on my Dell computer.

RoysWing

n3wb
Reaction score
ALSO, all ip addresses on my network seem to be: 192.168.86.XXX

Is this a reason why I cant see the camera/video?

Reaction score
ALSO, all ip addresses on my network seem to be: 192.168.86.XXX

Is this a reason why I cant see the camera/video?
That's PRECISELY the reason. If your home network is 192.168.86.xxx, then your cameras should also be on 192.168.86.xxx, or you will not be able to see them.
Start over with just the PC, the PoE switch, and the camera.
Because the camera is 10.0.0.1, your PC should be 10.0.0.xxx.
Login to the camera using your web browser.
Reset the IP address to 192.168.86.nnn (which isn't already in use on your network).

Then reset your PC to 192.168.86.xxx and connect the PoE switch to the network.
Now you should be able to see your camera.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Open Windows Control Panel, click "Network and Inernet", click "Network and Sharing Center", in the left column click "Change adapter settings",right click on the adapter that is used to connect the PC to the network, click on "properties", select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), click "properties", clcik "advanced", clcick "add" and enter an ip address in the 192.168.1.X range but not 192.168.1.108 or the in range that the camera is in, enter a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 or 255.255.255.0, clik "OK", click "OK", click "OK" and close the Control Panel tabs. This will let you access the Dahua camera on 192.168.1.108 by opening your browse and typing that address on the address line. You will need the login credentials for the camera which will be on the instruction sheet that came with the camera.

Last edited:

RoysWing

n3wb
Reaction score
That's PRECISELY the reason. If your home network is 192.168.86.xxx, then your cameras should also be on 192.168.86.xxx, or you will not be able to see them.
Start over with just the PC, the PoE switch, and the camera.
Because the camera is 10.0.0.1, your PC should be 10.0.0.xxx.
Login to the camera using your web browser.
Reset the IP address to 192.168.86.nnn (which isn't already in use on your network).

Then reset your PC to 192.168.86.xxx and connect the PoE switch to the network.
Now you should be able to see your camera.
Alright, I finally got video feed!

I changed the IP back to 192.168.86 IP, and network gave it 192.168.86.27

I can finally view video in the web browser and NOW BI also has the feed rolling! Awesome!! Thanks everything, including the last post by sebastian.

So should I keep my IPs as these numbers? I read on the wifi a while ago that people change it to the 10.x.x.0 to keep it separated. But as you guys can tell from my thread, when I started doing that, I screwed up seeing the camera.

I currently have 2 cameras, but will expand soon. I eventually want to also have remote access using a VPN, but Ill worry about that once I figure out if I can expand with these IPs or if ya'll recommend to change?

Thanks again, so much to all of you.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
You are going to need a switch that supports VLANs to be able to support the additional 10.x.x.x network. Do some searching here and you will find a bunch of info on that as well as the "Dual NIC" configuration which is another way to separate your network from the cameras. There are a lot of good resources on the forum that can help you through it.

RoysWing

n3wb
Reaction score
You are going to need a switch that supports VLANs to be able to support the additional 10.x.x.x network. Do some searching here and you will find a bunch of info on that as well as the "Dual NIC" configuration which is another way to separate your network from the cameras. There are a lot of good resources on the forum that can help you through it.
Will I just be ok with keeping it the way it is right now?
As long as it will work for me, and is still secure, I'd rather just not worry about that.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
There are security advantages to keeping the cameras on a different subnet scheme. That can stop them, or at least make it more difficult by multiple factors, from being hacked as well as keep them from "phoning home". A separate NIC in the PC is one way to do it and another is a managed switch that supports VLANs. At the very least, go into your router config and block the cameras from internet access, sometimes referred to a "parental control" but usually by the IP address of the camera.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Or buy a second network card for the BI PC. That way the BI PC can be connected to your home network and the cams can be on a separate network via the second network card.