Just built my NVR machine. SmartPSS sufficient ?

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I'll be doing 4x Dahua cameras at max. I believe their own software is SmartPSS?

For a simple 4x 4MP setup, is BlueIris really necessary? I don't really need fancy features like automation integration. Just need 24/7 recording on 2x 3TB WD Red drives. 2 cams per drive at most with 4 cams.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I'll be doing 4x Dahua cameras at max. I believe their own software is SmartPSS?

For a simple 4x 4MP setup, is BlueIris really necessary? I don't really need fancy features like automation integration. Just need 24/7 recording on 2x 3TB WD Red drives. 2 cams per drive at most with 4 cams.
No, Blue iris is not needed. When you are frustrated with smartpss come back for more advice. This way you will appreciate blue iris more.
If all you really need is to record 24/7 then use an nvr.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No, Blue iris is not needed. When you are frustrated with smartpss come back for more advice. This way you will appreciate blue iris more.
If all you really need is to record 24/7 then use an nvr.
I already had the parts so already built the machine! No point in buying NVR! Besides this thing is pretty good specs wise for a 4 cam machine (8th gen i3 4 core, 12GB DDR4, 120 SSD, seasonic PSU, 2x 3TB WD Reds, on a 1500 VA UPS)

I'd love to hear what you feel is wrong with smartpss.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I already had the parts so already built the machine! No point in buying NVR! Besides this thing is pretty good specs wise for a 4 cam machine (8th gen i3 4 core, 12GB DDR4, 120 SSD, seasonic PSU, 2x 3TB WD Reds, on a 1500 VA UPS)

I'd love to hear what you feel is wrong with smartpss.
No one already has the parts...even if you did, you can simply sell them. A standalone NVR will be more efficient.
Nothing is wrong with smartpss, that is why I am recommending you use it, you need to experience this for yourself. Its the best and only way.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No one already has the parts...even if you did, you can simply sell them. A standalone NVR will be more efficient.
Nothing is wrong with smartpss, that is why I am recommending you use it, you need to experience this for yourself. Its the best and only way.
Sure some of us do! I've had tons of stuff from decommissioned mining rigs and other things. NVR might be more efficient yes but this thing has quick sync (efficient) and selling tons of parts is already a hassle.
Easier to sell things like the sea of 1080 Tis I had but not everyone wants to pay top dollar for i3 or mismatched ram!

I'll definitely try out PSS. If it works, great! If not, i'll grab BI.

RIght now I'm playing with IPVM to see what models / focals lengths give me what kind of angles for ID.
Would it be ok to post IPVM screencaps of our property on this forum or against the rules ?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
As a long time Dauha user, let me save you the trouble and suggest you to really take @fenderman 's advice on to go with BI.

I even don't own or use BI but I can tell you that SmartPSS may not be as good as you think even it you are using it just to record 24/7 . I use Dauha NVR for my 24/7 recording and its always been reliable for me and SmartPSS is just eh not great but not bad.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I use SmartPSS as a live viewer and for playback/downloading clips. It works well for that purpose in conjunction with a Dahua NVR

As a stand alone VMS, it isn’t even close to BI and I wouldn’t recommend it for that purpose.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Its terrible compared to BI. Its bloated and requires a ton of components to install and startup.

BI is the no brainer here.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Old thread btw. I never tried PSS but I do like trial BI. Likely gonna buy it soon.

Tekbotslaya

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BI has a 15 day trial I highly recommend using. Try it side by side with any alternative option to see what you like best. If you want lots of options and flexibility that you can tweak and refine you will most likely love BI and buy it long before the 15 day trial is up.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
BI has a 15 day trial I highly recommend using. Try it side by side with any alternative option to see what you like best. If you want lots of options and flexibility that you can tweak and refine you will most likely love BI and buy it long before the 15 day trial is up.
Old thread, already using it lol
Just tinkering with it, playing with settings and getting the hang of it.

Doing comparisons of 5442 with 2431 rn