Just getting started

Tom S

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Finally getting started installing cameras. Been a while now reading, trying another system and pulling wires. The one annoying snag today was the waterproof connector not agreeing with the pass through crimp connector. The tab was on the crimp on connector was hitting on the shell of the waterproof connector was causing an intermittent connection. This camera is an IPC-HDW5231-ZE on a PA-137 both from Empire Tech Amazon shop.

IMG_1879.JPG
IMG_1878.JPG

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom S

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice, clean install.
Thank you, I was able to use a nearby soffit vent to fish the wire up into the attic to a point to where I could reach it working inside the attic.. I used two sets of fish rods one working from the inside and one from the outside. I wanted to avoid crawling across and packing down all of the insulation. Nice to only have 3 screw holes and one 1/4 wire hole drilled into the soffit in the event that things change down the road.

Shadeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice install. Seeing this makes me miss having a 1 story home... my new 2 story house is nice, but almost all the eves are well over 20 feet off the ground, so not practical to install cameras in! I'm having to get creative and probably run some conduit in places to get them down to 8' off the ground.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nice install. Seeing this makes me miss having a 1 story home... my new 2 story house is nice, but almost all the eves are well over 20 feet off the ground, so not practical to install cameras in! I'm having to get creative and probably run some conduit in places to get them down to 8' off the ground.
Hi @Shadeth

If you have an attached garage, I would use that as a starting point and setup cameras to cover the driveway, walkway to the front door ( if the garage is on the front of the house ), and the side of the house.

Tom S

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So finally got a nice day to make some more progress. This is my first camera adjacent to the front door to cover the porch. It is mounted a tiny bit lower than I would have liked to get a great face shot of someone at the door but it still works great. I would have more like where the address plaque was but I did not want to move that.

I used the soffit vent above it to run out to the center of the attic with a stiff fiberglass rod. I then fished the wire in the small space between the brick and the exterior sheathing. I was able to only have to drill a 3/8 hole in the mortar line to run the wire to the exterior so it is super easy to fix that with a little tuck pointing later if needed. The fish behind the brick was a tricky bastard but it can be done.

I like the clean look. I will paint this later on a better color to match the house.Front Door Far.pngFront Door Med.pngFront Door Close.png

Last edited:

Tom S

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Made some more progress today. Could not do quite as clean of a wire fish to this location with the nature of the truss and roof configuration but I did get pretty close to clean. I would have liked to gone a little lower on the soffit but that meant drilling through a truss and I did not want to do that. I also wanted to keep the camera as best protected from the elements and the sun so I decided mounting on a horizontal surface here to get lower was the wrong call. This camera has to see over the privacy fence too for the back yard too so some height was needed.

The short section of tube is actually 1/2 copper pipe with a male adapter which is just a bit smaller then what conduit fittings would be. I drilled a hole in that trim board just deep enough to be a socket for the tube and then drilled a lot smaller hole after that. Easy to fix with Bondo later on if needed. The fish was inserting a fish rod from the outside with twine on it and then snagging the twine from the inside with another fish rod.

This is on the south side of the house as sort of an overview back towards the street. I think I will also install a small piece of sheet metal along the facia board for a bit of a sun shade for the camera to cut down on how much the sun beats on it all day long esp in the winter.

IMG_2101.JPGIMG_2099.JPGIMG_2100.JPG

Last edited:

Tom S

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got one of the garage cams installed today and part way done on one for the other side. For this area I am installing a pair of IPC-T5442TM-AS from Andy. My initial observations is that this camera is damn good at gathering light. Kind of a split between my better low light 2mp cams and my 4k good detail with good light ones. The plan is to paint these to a beige color when the weather is nicer. The soffit vent still needs to go back on. It was off to get the wire ran to the camera. I did not fish the wire for this camp between the brick facade and the framing so a short section of wire is exposed in the garage over the drywall. I will just cover that up with some wire mold.

IMG_2315.JPGIMG_2316.JPGDahua NVR_Garage N 5442_main_20200329171737_@1.jpg

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks really good, it stands out more if you leave the paint as is :)

I got one of the garage cams installed today and part way done on one for the other side. For this area I am installing a pair of IPC-T5442TM-AS from Andy. My initial observations is that this camera is damn good at gathering light. Kind of a split between my better low light 2mp cams and my 4k good detail with good light ones. The plan is to paint these to a beige color when the weather is nicer. The soffit vent still needs to go back on. It was off to get the wire ran to the camera. I did not fish the wire for this camp between the brick facade and the framing so a short section of wire is exposed in the garage over the drywall. I will just cover that up with some wire mold.

View attachment 58301View attachment 58302View attachment 58303