Just got a Hikvision WiFi Doorbell, wired everything up and its not working right.

Deten

n3wb
Reaction score
Short Version: Just got a Hikvision WiFi Doorbell, wired everything up and its not working right. When I flip on the breaker it chimes, then the chime continues to buzz. Button doesn't do anything... Help?

I thought I would enter the world of smart doorbells, but am stuck on this issue.

I have a 16VAC 10VA transformer. I have a Hampton Bay home depot chime and this Hikvision Wifi Doorbell.

I tried adding the included resistor in series with my doorbell at the doorbell itself. Then I also tried adding it parallel across the chime.

Neither solution worked.

My understanding is a portion of power is let through by the doorbell in order to power the doorbell itself. This can cause an issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Read the voltage across the transformer with the chime connected but with the Hik NOT connected, then read with the Hik connected. If the voltage drop is significant, you may need to replace your 10VA transformer with one rated 20 or 30VA (still @ 16VAC) to be able to supply more current to both devices at the same time. Your existing transformer was selected at the time to power only a chime.

I am NOT suggesting at this stage to increase the transformer voltage.

Deten

n3wb
Reaction score
Read the voltage across the transformer with the chime connected but with the Hik NOT connected, then read with the Hik connected. If the voltage drop is significant, you may need to replace your 10VA transformer with one rated 20 or 30VA (still @ 16VAC) to be able to supply more current to both devices at the same time. Your existing transformer was selected at the time to power only a chime.

I am NOT suggesting at this stage to increase the transformer voltage.
This transformer is new, not the existing one. I also think this is backwards. If the chime is permanently engaged, isnt that too MUCH power?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This transformer is new, not the existing one. I also think this is backwards. If the chime is permanently engaged, isnt that too MUCH power?
It does not matter if it's the existing or new.....I am just saying that 10VA may not be able to furnish enough current for BOTH the cam AND the chime.

A higher VA (Volt-Amperes) rating on the transformer means the transformer can furnish current up to that amount.....devices draw current, the transformer supplies it.

It does no harm to have a transformer be able to furnish more current (have a higher VA rating) than it is called upon to furnish with all devices activated.

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
See the above link.. I had the same problem. and it turned out the transformer didn't have enough power.. Changed out the transformer to a 24v 40va and instantaneous stability, no humming.. Also DON'T use the resistor on a mechanical door chime! 10va isn't enough power to drive the doorbell... My old transformer was 16v 20va and it wasn't enough either.

Deten

n3wb
Reaction score
So I got a 24Vac 40VA transformer and that didn't resolve it. I also got a new 16V 30VA transformer and that didnt resolve it.

I also bought a potentiometer and jumped the door chime with it. I changed it to a few different resistances and the problem resolved once it was about 5 Ohms. I bought a resistor pack and will use it to bypass the chime to allow that trickle flow to go around.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I can’t quite believe that a smart doorbell and bell need that much power in order to drive them. Has anybody attempted to measure the power usage when the smart doorbell is active and when you press the button?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I got a 24Vac 40VA transformer and that didn't resolve it. I also got a new 16V 30VA transformer and that didnt resolve it.

I also bought a potentiometer and jumped the door chime with it. I changed it to a few different resistances and the problem resolved once it was about 5 Ohms. I bought a resistor pack and will use it to bypass the chime to allow that trickle flow to go around.
Thanks for sharing your resolution.
BTW, which xformer did you leave wired in? I ask because that 5 Ohms that worked for you could change depending on circuit voltage.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Deten ,

As above..."BTW, which xformer did you leave wired in? I ask because that 5 Ohms that worked for you could change depending on circuit voltage. "

Deten

n3wb
Reaction score
@Deten ,

As above..."BTW, which xformer did you leave wired in? I ask because that 5 Ohms that worked for you could change depending on circuit voltage. "
Sorry for the late reply, I left the 16V 30VA transformer installed.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Something else to note, it is important that the voltage rating of the mechanical chime match the transformer. Let’s say you have a chime rated at 12V, and you install a 14,16,18,24... volt transformer, that could cause the humming.

rag9836

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for this post. Installing two video doorbells, plus chime… have a Hampton bay unit. I get a solid red light on one video DB and a flashing one on second… when the second unit was installed, the chime started going off on its own and cutting out. Thinking it must be too little power on transformer to power all three.