Just Moved, Need advice regarding CCTV (Newbie)

Oldlmao

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just moved to the Netherlands, and the neighborhood I'm going to stay at for a while is quite rough so to speak..
So I'm looking for a good quality cctv system.
My friend recommended me this:

https://www.rrb-security.nl/camera-bewaking/
It's in Dutch, sorry about that. But it's about the brand Dahua, it's a HD over Coax if I understood properly.
Any advice regards the brands and/or quality, nightvision etc?
Thanks!

Stepan

n3wb
Reaction score
I used HDCVI Dahua.
Check attachment compare 3Mp IPC and HDCVI. For home HDCVI is enough
compare.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do not install CVI in an new installation. Run ethernet and use ip cameras. cvi is a transitional technology to convert old analog systems to HD. There are significant disadvantages to running coax.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ethernet is easier to terminate and often cheaper. Only reason to install CVI etc is if you already have coax and power run everywhere and don't want to run new cable. Ethernet is the only sensible choice for new installs.

There are lots of threads where people ask similar questions... do some reading.

Stepan

n3wb
Reaction score
Why you think that HDCVI must use coaxial ? HDCVI is cheap solution, but you can use UTP cable, it's easy if use balun.
balun.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why you think that HDCVI must use coaxial ? HDCVI is cheap solution, but you can use UTP cable, it's easy if use balun.
View attachment 11831
You can use ethernet. I have suggested ethernet for users who insist on cvi so they can upgrade later when they realize the want ip. Most installers will use coax. CVI should still not be installed with ethernet or coax. Thats the point. IP has many benefits over CVI. It should NOT be installed in a new application in 2016.