Just Sharing My Progress

smithb

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @smithb

Is it possible to add a little more light to your porch at night? It may not take much more ambient light to improve the color image.
I could leave the porch light on, but I like to shut it off at night to indicate that visiting hours are over. I’m still testing things out but I may put a small IR flood in the ceiling and another one on the driveway.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I could leave the porch light on, but I like to shut it off at night to indicate that visiting hours are over. I’m still testing things out but I may put a small IR flood in the ceiling and another one on the driveway.
Hi Smithb,

Maybe a dimmer porch light which remains on after you turn the main one off?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @smithb

Is it possible to add a little more light to your porch at night? It may not take much more ambient light to improve the color image.

+1 on the porch light , I leave mine all night with a beefy led bulb. One more reason for the average druggie or BG to go to another house without... and the added benefit of nighttime full color captures.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I see some folks want the lights off for best night time IR quality. And, I understand it's important to maximize quality of the recording in case something happens on your property. Call me weird but I think a more brightly lit property equals less crime. Why hit up a brightly lit house and risk being seen when you can go to a property that sits in the dark.

I'm not trying to set up a trap to record crooks in high quality rather I'd like to discourage criminals to begin with. Anyhow, it's a different way to look at it. There's probably a good balance to discourage crime yet be able to record crooks.

smithb

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t really see lighting as a deterrent at all. My goal is exclusively to capture the best video possible. If IR produces the better picture then I will use IR. If visible light does then I’ll use visible light. I just need to do some more testing to see what produces the best picture.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t really see lighting as a deterrent at all. My goal is exclusively to capture the best video possible. If IR produces the better picture then I will use IR. If visible light does then I’ll use visible light. I just need to do some more testing to see what produces the best picture.
If you need it for evidence, at least one good color image / video capture to ID is very useful as IR mode is a bit harder to use to ID.

This is why I try to make certain I have at least a couple of cameras in color mode at the front of the house.