Just wanted to introduce myself

mjessup44

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm moving house's and plan to move in late November and need to plan my security cam system I have a total of 13 locations already wired up (big house). I can take all the advice I can, I'd prefer to have high res cam's am I'm interested in using external IR lights to help at night (I'm not a total noob I know the higher the resolution the worse the night capability's). I also need advice on a server to build that would run blueirs and also serve as the NAS for the network (would like to have 20 tb for NAS and enough storage to keep the last 30 days of recordings). I'm excited to learn!!! :):)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm moving house's and plan to move in late November and need to plan my security cam system I have a total of 13 locations already wired up (big house). I can take all the advice I can, I'd prefer to have high res cam's am I'm interested in using external IR lights to help at night (I'm not a total noob I know the higher the resolution the worse the night capability's). I also need advice on a server to build that would run blueirs and also serve as the NAS for the network (would like to have 20 tb for NAS and enough storage to keep the last 30 days of recordings). I'm excited to learn!!! :):)
Adding tons of IR to poor low light cameras will not result in good images..it is not the same as having a good low light camera.
You dont want to build a blue iris server, it is much cheaper to buy..see wiki..dedicate the machine to blue iris.

mjessup44

n3wb
Reaction score
Adding tons of IR to poor low light cameras will not result in good images..it is not the same as having a good low light camera.
You dont want to build a blue iris server, it is much cheaper to buy..see wiki..dedicate the machine to blue iris.
Thank you for quickly telling me about how tons of IR won't fix I appreciate that, while you here would you recommend I have the NAS and blueiris server separate? or together

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for quickly telling me about how tons of IR won't fix I appreciate that, while you here would you recommend I have the NAS and blueiris server separate? or together
I would use a blue iris server only for blue iris...pretend its an NVR and cant do anything else.

mjessup44

n3wb
Reaction score
I would use a blue iris server only for blue iris...pretend its an NVR and cant do anything else.
will do I've done some research before now but for recording would it make sense to have it record to the NAS or is there any reason I should have it located in the actual "NVR"

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
will do I've done some research before now but for recording would it make sense to have it record to the NAS or is there any reason I should have it located in the actual "NVR"
You should always record locally to the blue iris pc...if you wish you can also simultaneously record to nas as well as use SD cards in the cameras.

mjessup44

n3wb
Reaction score
You should always record locally to the blue iris pc...if you wish you can also simultaneously record to nas as well as use SD cards in the cameras.
Will do thanks for the quick help you probably just saved me an hour of research I'll look into buying a used system as you recommended and one that can handle enough drive storage or look into an external drive system that would plug into the server. I really appreciate your help I'm loving this forum!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Will do thanks for the quick help you probably just saved me an hour of research I'll look into buying a used system as you recommended and one that can handle enough drive storage or look into an external drive system that would plug into the server. I really appreciate your help I'm loving this forum!!
take a look at the wiki above