Keep what I have or trade?

mikem

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been researching security systems for quite awhile. I understand that there are many variables. I decided the best for me was a packaged system. I have a home on twenty acres with a guest house and a horse barn. I'm going to end up with about sixteen cameras. I purchased the Q-See 16 channel system with the eight 4mp cameras when it was on sale for $1300 from Costco.

My question is..... would I be better off quality wise to look at the Hikvision packages Nelly's has and spend a little more and return my Costco system. I don't need 16 cameras now. I can add over the next year. I don't mind spending three grand if it's really worth it. Or is the Q-See system I have a solid system that I would be happy with?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Q-See is Dahua, Swann is Hikvision also in Costco. There is also LTS (Hikvision) brand which you can get good deals. However, you will be wasting your time and money by switching packages as both are nearly identical in the same price range of cams and to me all of them are underwhelming. If you really want the high end stuff and don't mind spending top dollar check out Hikvision 4-line (darkfighter/lighfighter)

http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/products_508.html

mikem

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Q-See is Dahua, Swann is Hikvision also in Costco. There is also LTS (Hikvision) brand which you can get good deals. However, you will be wasting your time and money by switching packages as both are nearly identical in the same price range of cams and to me all of them are underwhelming. If you really want the high end stuff and don't mind spending top dollar check out Hikvision 4-line (darkfighter/lighfighter)

http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/products_508.html
Okay thanks. I bought the Q-See system the last day of the sale knowing that I could return it. In the mean time I'm trying to make sure that it's a good system and I'm not making a mistake by installing it.
So far as cameras in the $150 range these rebranded Dahua's would be comparable to the Hikvision 4mp?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay thanks. I bought the Q-See system the last day of the sale knowing that I could return it. In the mean time I'm trying to make sure that it's a good system and I'm not making a mistake by installing it.
So far as cameras in the $150 range these rebranded Dahua's would be comparable to the Hikvision 4mp?
There is not a significant difference between the two...you cannot go wrong by installing it since you can always return it to costco...

mikem

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is not a significant difference between the two...you cannot go wrong by installing it since you can always return it to costco...
Thank you for the help. It's much appreciated.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score