Keeping cameras clean

Reaction score
I recently installed 7 Hikvision cameras, all setup with motion detection recording with BlueIris. During the night, I am getting a lot of recordings because of spider webs going in front of the camera lense which triggers the motion detection. I will then go ahead and clear the area around the camera and it's fine, but this is happening on almost a daily basis.

Does anyone have any advice for how to keep the area clear of webs, or any kind of setting that could be set with BlueIris to prevent these from triggering motion?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I hear that a drop of citronella oil on the front of the camera near the lens will keep spiders away. At least for a while (weeks? months? I don't know, never tried it)

- - - Updated - - -

I am lazy so there is a magnificent spider web in front of one of my cams that has been there a week.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no way to prevent the motion trigger without also causing missed triggers.
Recording space is cheap so I would not worry to much...if you are getting alerts on your phone/email, the setup a cloned camera for alerts only and set the threshold higher...
turret style cameras where the lens and IR are separated help reduce this issue as well.

thestip

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe try using Ortho Home Defense Max or something similar. Just spray the (waterproof!) cameras and the surrounding area where they attach. After it dries, wipe the lenses clean. I sprayed it on my porch light fixtures months ago, still no new webs on them.

The stuff's supposed to last up to a year indoors. I'm assuming outdoors and covered will be about the same. Outdoors and exposed? Probably need to re-apply it 2-3x a year.