Kenosha Shooter Kyle Rittenhouse; Criminal, Murderer or Citizen Defender.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
For me as an european jury based justice systems seems to be highly influenced by emotions... On the other hand in europe high court judges are nominated by politics and also mostly member of a political party so its obvious that you might not get a fair verdict when it comes to political cases.
both systems have advantages/disadvantages
What's the alternative to a Jury?

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Judge or panel of judges. I believe in civil cases you can have a choice, and possibly in criminal as well. In most traffic courts its just the judge, who is buddies with the prosecuting attorneys and officers, as they see each other a lot.
I've requested a trial by jury in both traffic stops I've gotten, then they end up dropping both cases because they realize their ticket is BS

I don't really trust the judge to not just side with LE

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Judge or panel of judges. I believe in civil cases you can have a choice, and possibly in criminal as well. In most traffic courts its just the judge, who is buddies with the prosecuting attorneys and officers, as they see each other a lot.
In civil cases (in many states) you actually have to demand a jury trial in the initial complaint. You can choose a bench trial in criminal casesl. For example the cops in the Baltimore freddy gray case knew they would not get a fair jury trial. Officers' selection of judge trials shaped outcome in Freddie Gray case — spurring debate
In traffic/municipal court you generally dont have the right to a jury trial - some states like NJ dont even allow jury trials for DWI offences while in NY they are available.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In civil cases (in many states) you actually have to demand a jury trial in the initial complaint. You can choose a bench trial in criminal casesl. For example the cops in the Baltimore freddy gray case knew they would not get a fair jury trial. Officers' selection of judge trials shaped outcome in Freddie Gray case — spurring debate
In traffic/municipal court you generally dont have the right to a jury trial - some states like NJ dont even allow jury trials for DWI offences while in NY they are available.
I was thinking you can get a jury trial, you just have to appeal it. But, I don't have any personal experience, like @IReallyLikePizza2 . ;)

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Didn't come to a complete stop turning right on red with no traffic coming the other way, ticket and wasting everyone's time in court, case dismissed for writing the location completely wrong

Someone literally breaking into the house next door, HPD don't show...

Makes you wonder

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
What's the alternative to a Jury?
Not sure about all systems in europe, but to my knowledge many dont have a jury / only in some cases / or only something like , where some people are somehow in a role of a judge and have a vote after (laymen/layperson).
But a verdict which is only from a jury is uncommon.

On higher courts there are mostly more than only 1 real judge.

1637405714285.gif