Kill-a-watt results

thedoc46

n3wb
Reaction score
For anyone that cares... A typical Hikvision IP camera (on its own POE injector) uses approx 5w in night mode, and approx 3.3w in day mode.

Depending on your area, a 100w constant a month is around $10 worth of electricity.

I suspect an NVR draws a lot more than the camera. Could be wrong. Assuming it runs like a typical PC draws then it can draw anything between 150w (idle) to 5x that if you're into a fast gaming machine.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For anyone that cares... A typical Hikvision IP camera (on its own POE injector) uses approx 5w in night mode, and approx 3.3w in day mode.

Depending on your area, a 100w constant a month is around $10 worth of electricity.

I suspect an NVR draws a lot more than the camera. Could be wrong. Assuming it runs like a typical PC draws then it can draw anything between 150w (idle) to 5x that if you're into a fast gaming machine.
NVR's draw about 10-40w depending on model..add 3-7w per hard drive. The max consumption is listed in the specs..
A typical i5 haswell pc with onboard intel graphics draws 30w at idle and about 50-60w under some load....Intel haswell "s" processors idle at about 16-18w.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Power consumption is one of Intel's biggest areas of improvement in recent years. They certainly haven't been pushing high end performance. LOL.

Anyway 150 watts might be accurate if you are including one or two big (and fairly old) monitors along with the PC. NVRs definitely use less.