L2 or L3 Ethernet switch

Aggie Adam

n3wb
Reaction score
i need to upgrade to managed switches. Do you recommend a L3 switch or is L2 good enough, or L3 lite?

Any recommendations appreciated. I will need a managed switch in 3 different locations in my home. I assume I need to stick to the same name brand to be stackable?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
What are your exact requirements?

Just saying you need a managed switch means nothing on its own. There is also a significant cost difference between L2 and L3 managed switches so which features do you require?

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What on earth are you doing in your home where you need to stack switches???

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I managed to pick up a used 24 port Procurve 2620 L3 switch for $34. It has 12 poe+ ports. I've setup 3 vlans with inter-vlan routing. My BI pc is on one vlan, the cameras are on a separate vlan with no internet access and the third vlan allows me to access the nvr from my home network and through the vpn.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I managed to pick up a used 24 port Procurve 2620 L3 switch for $34. It has 12 poe+ ports. I've setup 3 vlans with inter-vlan routing. My BI pc is on one vlan, the cameras are on a separate vlan with no internet access and the third vlan allows me to access the nvr from my home network and through the vpn.
That is a hell of a price.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m going to take a look now but here in the uk they seem to still sell at price where I could get a brand new 8 port Poe+