Las Vegas smoke shop owner stabs man multiple times during attempted robbery

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Per wtim he notes the owner will not be charged for the stabbing. If someone has a direct link to support this position and outcome would love to read it.

I can tell you that isn’t the outcome in Canada should the same arise!

They basically want you to run away and cry in the corner.

Reaction score
TonyR: You are correct, being an armchair general is easy, being the one THERE is not. I just wish him the best. IF ANYONE THREATENS YOU, TRIES TO HARM YOU, then that's on them and IMO you have every right to put them down.

Teken, I am sorry to hear this, but there are many places just like that here...and growing. :(

Now check this out...this made my BP climb rapidly! Just put the rabid animals down.

1659880636908.png

1659880687404.png

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
TonyR: You are correct, being an armchair general is easy, being the one THERE is not. I just wish him the best. IF ANYONE THREATENS YOU, TRIES TO HARM YOU, then that's on them and IMO you have every right to put them down.

Teken, I am sorry to hear this, but there are many places just like that here...and growing. :(

Now check this out...this made my BP climb rapidly! Just put the rabid animals down.

View attachment 135761

View attachment 135762
Yes, saw that incident when it was first published last month. There are tons of forums discussing this and other similar incidents and what has happened in terms of legal proceedings.

Versus what did happen to the thief / victim.

It’s fair to say many places have different laws as it relates to self defence and what a person is allowed to do within the context of the law. Sometimes it does favour the victim other times the criminal.

At the end of the day my default response is if you breach my house and intend to do harm to myself, family, property.

Your life is literally forfeit . . .

I rather be judged by 12 than to be carried out by 6.

Reaction score
Per wtim he notes the owner will not be charged for the stabbing. If someone has a direct link to support this position and outcome would love to read it.
Initial reports were that the owner would not be charged, but of course that could change. Many District Attorneys will bend to public outrage or political pressure and reverse themselves. However, I think that Mr. Nguyen has several things in his favor right now:

(1) He is Asian, and the perps are white. The media has been beating the "Stop Asian Hate" drum for a couple of years; an obvious conclusion that Mr. Nguyen could make is that he was being deliberately targeted because of his race, and that his assailants planned to do more than just rob him.

(2) Mr. Nguyen tried to de-escalate the situation, and was prepared to let them leave with the tip jar. He did not fight back until one of them jumped the counter. Where I live, if you spot someone grabbing a package on your porch and then shoot them in your front yard, you're going to be arrested. But if that same thief opens your door and comes in your house, deadly force is completely justified. By jumping over that counter, the thief crossed the line. How was Mr. Nguyen supposed to know that he would not be attacked next?

(3) Mr. Nguyen was amazingly calm and self-controlled despite what happened. He did not use any more force than was necessary once he had disabled his attacker. He immediately called 911, and did not insult or injure the perp further.

(4) Mr. Nguyen lives in Las Vegas, not Boston, Washington D.C., NYC, Chicago, or any one a dozen other cities where you'd be expected to roll over and submit to a criminal.

By now I assume that Mr. Nguyen has received multiple offers of pro bono legal assistance and advice. I'm certain that the first thing they've told him is "stop speaking to the media". If the DA does decide to bring charges against Mr. Nguyen, I do not doubt that we'll be seeing a Rittenhouse-style fundraising effort for his defense.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Initial reports were that the owner would not be charged, but of course that could change. Many District Attorneys will bend to public outrage or political pressure and reverse themselves. However, I think that Mr. Nguyen has several things in his favor right now:

(1) He is Asian, and the perps are white. The media has been beating the "Stop Asian Hate" drum for a couple of years; an obvious conclusion that Mr. Nguyen could make is that he was being deliberately targeted because of his race, and that his assailants planned to do more than just rob him.

(2) Mr. Nguyen tried to de-escalate the situation, and was prepared to let them leave with the tip jar. He did not fight back until one of them jumped the counter. Where I live, if you spot someone grabbing a package on your porch and then shoot them in your front yard, you're going to be arrested. But if that same thief opens your door and comes in your house, deadly force is completely justified. By jumping over that counter, the thief crossed the line. How was Mr. Nguyen supposed to know that he would not be attacked next?

(3) Mr. Nguyen was amazingly calm and self-controlled despite what happened. He did not use any more force than was necessary once he had disabled his attacker. He immediately called 911, and did not insult or injure the perp further.

(4) Mr. Nguyen lives in Las Vegas, not Boston, Washington D.C., NYC, Chicago, or any one a dozen other cities where you'd be expected to roll over and submit to a criminal.

By now I assume that Mr. Nguyen has received multiple offers of pro bono legal assistance and advice. I'm certain that the first thing they've told him is "stop speaking to the media". If the DA does decide to bring charges against Mr. Nguyen, I do not doubt that we'll be seeing a Rittenhouse-style fundraising effort for his defense.
A different take.

Reaction score
A different take.
Yes, I've seen that. If the store owner actually did get on Reddit and do that AMA, then he has seriously undermined his self-defense argument. In fact, he was an idiot if he got on Reddit afterwards. Even if he avoids criminal prosecution, he's opened himself up to a world of hurt in civil court.

Lots of lawyers are lining up on both sides of this situation. This is in many ways very similar to what happened with Kyle Rittenhouse. It should be interesting to see how it develops.

Last edited: