late night prowler

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sorry i've been away guy's; life's been a train wreck.. wont go into details but

Had this encounter lastnight:

Young white male caught my eye on an adjacent display and as he walked behind my TDI I hit preset for the wide front view; when I saw him go for the door handle I said fuck this and got up and marched out to the door; where I promptly instructed him to GTFO then went in and called the police and informed them of his whereabouts.

In heinseight I dunno; could of hidden and watched on camera and maby nailed him with the police ~10mins later somewhere in the neighborhood.. the cops did show up and drove around with big lights you could see from a mile away, presume they never found him. Wish I'd of left it at the original view, would of got a much better shot of him.

Dunno tho if I can watch someone try to steal from me and not react personally, I wanted to whoop his ass for all the missing Ipods, Stereo's, Bikes and Skateboards Ive had over the years.. scaring him off into the dark was a good result; he covered his face and turned away the moment I appeared, I wonder if he is a local kid.. hope so cause now he's afraid of me.

Last edited by a moderator:

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good looking out, I'll bet your response time gave him something to think about.
Sorry to hear about the shit show, may your flusher be high flow.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hard to say what I'd do. I have thought of this scenario, though, and what I seem to keep coming up with is calling the police and then getting my DSLR with the zoom lens--flash off, obviously--and taking some nicer shots while the police are on their way, not showing my hand at all as he happily loots my car. One idea would be to hop in the car with a phone to keep an eye on him, but you could be vandalized in the future out of spite.

One day GPS-guided quadcopters will be $50, we'll all have one, and in this scenario you could get it airborne and track him from the sky and relay his position to the police :)

I've long believed petty crime like this will be all but eliminated in the very near future. It's getting too damn dangerous to get away with for criminals.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice to see you on the forum again nayr!

I've long believed petty crime like this will be all but eliminated in the very near future. It's getting too damn dangerous to get away with for criminals.
If that happened it would mean all the criminals had moved on to worse crime...

ServiceXp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think you did the right thing. No sense in waiting till they actually break or steal something as they may never be caught.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@nayr Nice to see you back! Sucks to have to deal with scum like that.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
@nayr hope all is well buddy, nice to hear from you. I would have reacted the same way, your initial instinct is to get them away from you and your property.

Last edited:

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nice to see you on the forum again nayr!

If that happened it would mean all the criminals had moved on to worse crime...
No, I think they will move onto prison and/or just stop doing it. Violent crime has gone down significantly in recent decades, for example. We'll see the same with this kind of thing. It just won't be possible to get away with it.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thanks guys, I surely scared him off so the cops were unable to find them.. the only way he was going to jail last night was had I been discrete and extremely lucky... if you notice he has gloves on, no backpack.. the'd have to catch him in the act almost, its not like he was carrying a pirate booty bag over his shoulder with dollar signs on it.

I did not feel the least bit threatened; seeing him on camera I knew he was alone and not brandishing a weapon so left my firearm behind on purpose.. felt there was no good to be had in showing that hand.

Until I get some vehicles removed and stored, attached is the new default position for that camera.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice shot....i would guess that with your skills you would figure out how to place a camera inside that car :)..maybe with audio that says get the f*** out

NetWorker

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Disturbing but also impressive. I admire your watchful eye :)

Wish I had more people around my neighborhood looking out look this. Guess I need to step up and start the trend.

2 days ago from a neighbors window (just happened to be visiting at the time) I watched some sketchy guys in a work truck pull up in front of my house and either they were looking at the snowy roof or my cameras. I like to think it was the cameras and hopefully they delivered the message. As soon as they saw me watching them, gone in a flash.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I did not feel the least bit threatened; seeing him on camera I knew he was alone and not brandishing a weapon so left my firearm behind on purpose.. felt there was no good to be had in showing that hand..
That's how I can tell you don't live in Texas. Actually a guy a couple years back did leave his house in my area to speak to some teens breaking into his car. One rushed him, he shot the kid dead, was acquitted. I think that finding was fair, but he could just have likely screamed them off and not had to go through a trial, which would have been surely preferable.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can take, and dish out an ass whooping; however here in Colorado he'd had to follow me over the threshold before I'd of been acquitted of using a firearm... My gun is for protecting my Family; not me and my toys.. those happen to be well insured.

I love my guns but there a last resort; this kid did not look like a hoard of zombies and I didnt catch him in my living room uninvited.. so meh. He was a white kid so his chances of being shot at are minimal.

He did deserve a ass kicking; and I would have gladly defended an assault charge to provide it to him.. but I still didn't pursue that avenue after a lil risk assessment.. not worth getting stabbed or shot trying to teach this kid a lesson.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've got one of these, not this one specifically:

Ive sic'd him on a pair of coyote's and he damn near took one down; but he went through some thick brush and he got hurt trying to break through at full speed right at the moment he went for the kill, was quite unforuntate and expensive.. he's fine now, minus a dew claw.. Been more hesitant on sending him after things since.... He's our first line defense; a 130lbs of love :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have a easy problem to solve send the wife out first next time she's expendable :eek:)
Tha'll surely land me with a man-slaughter or assault with a bitchy weapon charge... :)

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tha'll surely land me with a man-slaughter or assault with a bitchy weapon charge... :)

So worth it tho as long as the dog is kept safe :)

The great thing about my house is the OTHER who hates big dogs has no choice but to deal with them. I have a few rules in my house that i strictly enforce

1. you go before the dogs go there is no option this applies to everyone but me

2. you will not come into my house or garage and tell me what toys you think I should sell unless you plan on selling the same amount in value of shoes that are built up in the closet. Toys that will never be considered moveable include the motorcycles yes more then one, the cars yes more then one and the guns yes and lot of them :eek:) Everything else is up for grabs and sellable/tradable including the reason these rules are in place ill even send a muzzle with her if needed

3. And the last one you will not move into my house and take over every corner and room of the house. like women tend to do slowly over time :O) yes guys I know you know what I'm talking about

mik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's a video of a guy checkin my doors too. He's lucky we're all asleep. In Texas, its not good to be found stealing on a redneck's property at night.

[video]https://youtu.be/vHvt9nrOhTc[/video]