Latest 5 camera/2 pole Traffic LPR Installs

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share my latest 5 camera / 2 pole LPR install that has been online a few weeks. It covers a busy intersection known as 5 corners in our area, intersection of three major roads. Overall, we achieved about 50% more lane coverage than planned. I'll explain each below. All LPR cameras are @EMPIRETECANDY Dahua's 7442-Z4.- The 32mm is sufficient in most cases, and the 1/1.8 sensor is outstanding. Night capture is outstanding on these as well. The only camera I wish I had slightly more zoom is on pole 1, the one facing left, however the cars have to travel through the intersection, so its not a major issue.

Here is the overview of the placement, please excuse the approximate arrows.
overview1.jpg

Pole 1, Camera facing right and up
5corners1-camera1_LI.jpg

Our original target was just the two left lanes. We get those near perfect day and night. The far two lanes ended up being a bonus. We get 90%+ in the far lanes during the day, and 80% or so at night. I have plenty of zoom left here to play with.

Pole 1, Camera facing left
5corners1-camera2_LI.jpg

Original target was the right lane. Other two ended up being a bonus. Most traffic has to pass closer to the camera to get through the intersection, however we still catch the cars facing the camera before they come into the intersection. The far left lane, with the cars making a hard right does miss a small percentage. This is the only camera I wish I had a tiny bit more zoom.

Pole 1, facing right
5corners1-camera3_LI.jpg
Original target was the left two lanes since they had to come into the intersection and get closer to the camera. We also easily get the far lane going the opposite way nearly perfect as well.

Pole 2, camera facing directly up
5corners2-camera1_LI.jpg
Original plan for this was the two right lanes, and the second camera on this pole would catch the left lane and the opposite direction lane. However, one camera easily catches all three.

Pole 2, Camera facing down and left
5corners2-camera2_LI.jpg

This camera easily catches the far lane.

Summary
All in all, we caught a ton more lanes than we had expected with a 2 pole install, and some limited angles based on existing utility poles. OpenALPR is absolutely outstanding in its recognition. We also have an Axis 4 head 360 degree camera on each pole for general traffic overview. Biggest pain was the NYS DOT right of way permits, and getting the utility company to hook up the power on the pole. The computer on pole 2 had hardware issues after a few days on the pole, so I had to swap that out as well, but all in all, went very smooth. I worked with an experienced electrician which makes my job MUCH easier. On to the next ones!

Last edited:

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the actual install on pole 2, taken from the bucket truck after replacing the computer in box last week. Pole 1 was nearly the same, just with an extra LPR. In addition to large aluminum plate on the front, there are two additional mount points behind the plate. Not used in this picture, but used on the other pole. At max capacity as welded each pole could hold 4 LPR's and 1 of the 360 cameras.install_LI.jpg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh that is clean I didn't expect this to be in my neck of the woods. I'm gonna have to check it out in person one day

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for your sharing! @rsoxhater

Future can use the latest new dahua model 4*5mp

IPC-PDBW82041-B360
The reason I chose axis was that I only needed 1 milestone license for all 4 internal cameras. I’m not sure if it’s the same with dahua. Also the heads inside the camera are independently adjustable around a track and each are varifocal.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nice install
Who paid for this install a person, company, government ?
What is it going to be used for , with that much traffic ?

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice install! Thanks for sharing the photos. What kind of computers are you using on the pole and how do you keep them cool in the warmer months?

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice install! Thanks for sharing the photos. What kind of computers are you using on the pole and how do you keep them cool in the warmer months?
Dell Optiplex 7080's, Small Form Factors. The box itself has a thermostat that triggers a fan or a heater depending on the temp.

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here are the night time captures. All are reading well at night as well. The original planned lanes are near perfect, the "bonus" lanes I described above are reading at about 90% give or take. I'm running HLC at 85 and 1/2000 shutter speed. They are in the same order as the original one above.

5corners1-1.jpg

5corners1-2.jpg

5corners1-3.jpg

5corners2-1.jpg

5corners2-2.jpg