Latest new IPC-HDW5231R-ZE IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.800.0000018.0.R.210707

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I always run the latest firmware I get from Andy or Dahua but that is me .........
I'm your mirror image. After reading the last couple of pages in this thread I decided I'm pretty happy with my ancient firmware. It doesn't have all the features, but it's pretty darn reliable.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Still a WIP, but my experience is the factory reset or official firmware doesn't stop the reboots, even reverted back to 13 didn't stop them.
Process: Full factory reset, apply firmware,, full factory reset

After a reboot seems stable for 12 hours then 48 reboots in 12 hours. Given it is stable for 12 hours after a F\W update, really strange.

I just rolled back to v5. no reboots.

Last edited:

winston_j_allegath

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ive flashed this firmware, did a factory reset and i cannot get my cameras out of h265 mode. anyone else have this issue?

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just upgraded 2 of my 5231-ze cams, things to note:

1) For both of the cams that I tested this on, the first time I tried the upgrade, it seemed to go through the steps but then within 10-15 seconds it rebooted the cam. On logging on to the cam the firmware was still the old version. So I did it again and this time I saw the upgrade progress bar and the cam updated as expected. No idea why it seemed to not perform the update on the first attempt, can only surmise that maybe it was preparing the cam for the upgrade?
2) Substream 1 and 2 settings are maintained after a restart, on the previous version of the firmware, substream 2 would always be disabled and substream 1 would always be set back to default values.
3) On some versions of the previous firmware the Video Detection option would get re-enabled after a restart which would cause havoc with my IVS rules as it would trigger the cams on any motion. With this version of the firmware the Video Detection setting is also maintain after a restart.

All in all I'm very happy with this version of the firmware and all the bugs that I had previously reported have been fixed :)

Going to leave this running on the 2 cams for a few days before committing to updating my other 5231-ze cams.

EDIT: Forgot to thank Andy for the update :)
Do you have the Video detection turned off because you do not want to use it or because you cannot configure it? I've upgraded to the '18 version and still (and never) been able to save the setting in the video detection. I probably should stop but cannot seem to keep tripping over this failure in the camera.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Let me just say that I am truly amazed by the fact that some of these legacy models have made it this far. I still have a few cameras from 4 years ago and they are still performing strong. Really thankful for these firmware updates and continued support provided by @EMPIRETECANDY and the forum

Meanwhile if you buy these cameras from B&H, not only are you paying too much, you are not getting the true and up-to-date support

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just updated my 4y old IPC-HDW5231R-Z. Works great! Thanks Andy!
Do you use Video detection? I may have found a way to get the settings to save. It's seems (so far) that by changing the dithering setting that the grid / zone? settings in were saved. I plan to move to a Coral based AI detection scheme this winter so only need to get through the fall.

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Let me just say that I am truly amazed by the fact that some of these legacy models have made it this far. I still have a few cameras from 4 years ago and they are still performing strong. Really thankful for these firmware updates and continued support provided by @EMPIRETECANDY and the forum

Meanwhile if you buy these cameras from B&H, not only are you paying too much, you are not getting the true and up-to-date support
What are your thoughts on life expectancy for a camera?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I think the camera's life expectancy will be outpaced by the technology as newer and more powerful IP cameras with bigger sensors pave their way into the market. So at most, these cameras can be comfortably used for 4-5 years before we are splurged with newer and better models. I've already pushed half of my old cameras away by either giving them to friends / family and holding onto a couple of them for backup should any camera fail for any unforeseeable reason

What are your thoughts on life expectancy for a camera?

jchrisos

n3wb
Reaction score
Loaded this on my IPC-HDW5231R-Z and the camera will no longer stay on the network :-( If I keep rebooting (pulling power) I can get a login page but that only lasts about 5 seconds. Not even enough time to put in my username/password.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh no, planned obsolescence - joking

Like @IAmATeaf said, could be IP conflict, create a new static IP. Are you able to ping the camera constantly?
What were your reasons for upgrading the firmware?

Loaded this on my IPC-HDW5231R-Z and the camera will no longer stay on the network :-( If I keep rebooting (pulling power) I can get a login page but that only lasts about 5 seconds. Not even enough time to put in my username/password.

jchrisos

n3wb
Reaction score
Shouldn't be. The IP for the camera is assigned using my DHCP server. As long as the camera's MAC address doesn't change, it should get the same IP. Well, unless the firmware wiped all the settings? I don't think that's the case though because I don't even see the camera showing up on my switch.

jchrisos

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh no, planned obsolescence - joking

Like @IAmATeaf said, could be IP conflict, create a new static IP. Are you able to ping the camera constantly?
What were your reasons for upgrading the firmware?
That's definitely something to chase down - I'll try that out. I don't think that's the reason though for two reasons. First, after I reboot the camera is on the network for a very short while (under 60 seconds?) and I can hit it with a port scanner. Soon after that it's off the network. Second, the camera disappears from my switch. I can see the MAC addresses and port for all the other cameras I have, but not this one.

Reason I upgraded was trying to get the camera to archive video to a NAS (I think it uses NFS?). When the NAS was full (quota reached for the folder being written to), the camera wouldn't overwrite the oldest video in a loop. I thought it might be a bug and decided to upgrade.

Thanks for all the replies!

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am on 2.622 with a IPC-HDW5631R-ZE - are there other firmwares I need to load in succession or just the latest one in the first post of this thread is fine?