Learning curve

teammoose

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm a new user with a few questions. I've been reading the instructions, so I'm hoping to not look like I want to be spoon fed.

I had a question about remote use of the Blue Iris. I haven't found much on doing what I want. I have my computer pretty remotely mounted, so it's inconvenient to get to. I was hoping there is a way to control the program 100% remotely. I haven't seen any way of doing this, but I may be missing something.

Secondly, I have a camera that keeps getting booted off a few seconds after setting it up. I can set it up and it registers and works, but a minute after it says feed error with an error number. I'm not too worried about this problem because I will be updating the firmware of the camera soon and seeing if that helps.

If anyone can help shed some light on the remote use problem, I would appreciate it.

Thanks guys. I am really appreciating the ability of the software to send a few camera feeds to my work computer. I have to deal with the typical over protective internet at my company. I managed to get Chrome installed and they haven't blocked my home IP yet, but my internet is pretty limited. I just jump on once in awhile and make sure everything is how I left it. I used to have to log into one camera at a time.

James

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If your pc is running a pro version of windows then you can use windows remote desktop to remote in. If not you need something like teamviewer..which works great.
As far as the camera..what model is it? is it wired or wireless?

teammoose

n3wb
Reaction score
I think it's running Win 7 Pro, but will have to check.

I'm using a Foscam FI8906W. I can log into the camera directly any time, and it works fine. I also have an olderFI8905W and another FI8906W, which both work fine as well as an indoor model I can't remember. I'm using them wireless.

Thanks
James

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

teammoose

n3wb
Reaction score
Well that is a shame. Between friends and family, I have helped setup about 15 cameras. Mine have survived some nasty stuff. Being iced over for days and running on generator power, extreme heat and direct sunlight. Even a leaky down spout pouring water right into the camera. I ordered an access point to help relieve the load from my main router and will update the firmware.

What brand camera does everyone seem to like?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
At this time, Hikvision and Dahua stand out. You can purchase 3mp versions of their cameras for 90-150 depending on where you buy them (china vs us sellers). Lots of posts on the various brands on this forum. Look at the ip cameras subsections.
If night vision is important the Dahua 1.3 megapixel cameras shine in night mode. http://www.amazon.com/Dahua-Megapixel-Aptina-Bullet-Camera/dp/B008N234DW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1411097518&sr=1-1&keywords=Dahua+1.3+Megapixel
Whats nice is they are POE capable so you can transmit power and data over a single ethernet cord (you will need a poe switch (about 50 with 4 ports) or an injector (about 15-20, single port).
One thing forsure, the image will be light years ahead of the FI8906W...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

teammoose

n3wb
Reaction score
I will check them out today. I am pretty much stuck with wireless. I have cameras in multiple buildings. For the house though, I will start looking into POE.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the layout of the buildings? There is almost always a way to run cable....or at the very least you can use a good wired cam with an wireless access point or powerline adapters....

teammoose

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a couple of pole barns about 100'-150' feet out. The problem is the house is surrounded by concrete sidewalks which makes burying cable difficult.

My long term goal was to have a NAS with a FTP client and just have it in a recording loop.

Is that possible?