LED Motion Flood Lights - Dahua 5231 or 5831

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase several cameras and the consensus seems to be the Dahua 231 is the "best" low light performing camera. I have motion activate LED floodlights similar to the lights in the link below above my front/rear garage doors. They seem fairly bright to me and wonder whether the 5831's would perform well in these conditions or if I'd be better to stick with the 5231's?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Good-Earth-Lighting-180-Degree-2-Head-White-LED-Motion-Activated-Flood-Light-with-Timer/1000215615

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase several cameras and the consensus seems to be the Dahua 231 is the "best" low light performing camera. I have motion activate LED floodlights similar to the lights in the link below above my front/rear garage doors. They seem fairly bright to me and wonder whether the 5831's would perform well in these conditions or if I'd be better to stick with the 5231's?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Good-Earth-Lighting-180-Degree-2-Head-White-LED-Motion-Activated-Flood-Light-with-Timer/1000215615
if you are stuck on having 4k (due to ocd or otherwise) see threads on 1831 and 2831 cameras with 1/2 sensors. no audio or alarm inputs..the 1831 does not have sd card slot but the 2831 does.

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't need 4K but nobody needs 50+ inches of TV either yet we always seem to want bigger, better, more clear, etc. If I run Blue Iris instead of a NVR, will it be able to keep up with 8-10 4K cameras? If it's not that big of a difference I'm fine to stick with the 5231, save a bit of money, not have BI crashing, etc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't need 4K but nobody needs 50+ inches of TV either yet we always seem to want bigger, better, more clear, etc. If I run Blue Iris instead of a NVR, will it be able to keep up with 8-10 4K cameras? If it's not that big of a difference I'm fine to stick with the 5231, save a bit of money, not have BI crashing, etc.
right, you wrongfully assume that more pixels equal better images, just like smartphone buyers. Blue iris can keep up with the cameras if you buy a proper system. 10 4k cameras wont run on an i3 processor... See wiki...

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My perception of the 4K quality is based on the threads I've reviewed here where the 4K 5831 camera was able to clearly capture a license plate's numbers versus the 5231 not being able to and also another which seemed to provide more clarity in the sky and various other objects. Unless I'm mistaken the 4K has better image quality during the day?

I understand something to the affect of there being more pixels sent to the same size sensor which reduces the amount of light in the images thus why the 4K camera cannot compete with the 5231 at night; however, given the lighting I have, I'm questioning whether the 4K camera would perform as well or better than the 5231. I've no cameras so I've no frame of reference besides the LED's "seeming" fairly bright to me. Thanks for the feedback.

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FWIW - I have an i7 4770k processor and 32GB RAM so it's good to know I could handle 4K.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My perception of the 4K quality is based on the threads I've reviewed here where the 4K 5831 camera was able to clearly capture a license plate's numbers versus the 5231 not being able to and also another which seemed to provide more clarity in the sky and various other objects. Unless I'm mistaken the 4K has better image quality during the day?

I understand something to the affect of there being more pixels sent to the same size sensor which reduces the amount of light in the images thus why the 4K camera cannot compete with the 5231 at night; however, given the lighting I have, I'm questioning whether the 4K camera would perform as well or better than the 5231. I've no cameras so I've no frame of reference besides the LED's "seeming" fairly bright to me. Thanks for the feedback.
You can easily capture plates with a 1080p camera.... You will not be able to capture plates at night with any camera-less you dedicate a camera to license plate capture see the LPR section of this forum... But I suggest you go with the camera you want and then determine if you made a mistake or not afterwards... That way you can lay the blame on yourself...