Lens Cleaning

Reaction score
One of the issues with mounting an LPR (or any cam) low and in the garden is that the lens gets sprayed by the sprinklers. That has not been a problem in the past two years.

But today I went out to clean the lenses on my two LPR cams and one was quite bad. My standard 'Sunglass Hut' spray solution worked to get the grime off of both, but the LPR-W cam has water spots that do not come off with a standard lens cleaner. They do not seem to make any difference in daylight, but I think that at night with IR I am having degraded video.

This is a Dahua HFW5241EP-Z12E.

Anyone know how to clean off the water spots?
IMG_4715.JPG

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
White vinegar? Works on glass but not sure that's glass. A step up from that would be something stronger like CLR but again not sure about on plastic.

If a straight liquid solution like that won't do it, then you'll have to go to something with some mechanical action like very fine auto polish.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
We used to polish fiber cable with 3000 grit, and higher, wet/dry paper and used distilled water when we did that. I don't think that an abrasive would be my first choice for a camera lens because of the coatings on it. Of course if the coating is stained or damaged it's not critical then.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I just use my own saliva with 2500 grit wet sandpaper...seems to do the trick ;)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Makes me think about my future lpr placement of my 5231 Z12. down low in the shrub.... Maybe I need to go higher...Hmmm. I wonder if they'll make me a target if I turn the 5442 Z4 bullet around at the NW corner of the house. It's in the perfect spot...But so obvious... might create resentment and a desire to retaliate.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If the problem is the outside lens cover that's worth trying, but if it is the lens itself I don't thnk that would be a good idea.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
ok i took closer look at his photo @sebastiantombs its the white water spots from minerals in the water on the exterior lens of the camera. Descaling coffee machines requires white Vinegar. that'll work, then get some rain-X and apply that to the lens. will make future cleanup easier.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry, no "YUCK" in the icon list!
@sebastiantombs C’mon man…I thought you knew better…don’t believe everything you read online….it’s fake news :rofl:

I was joking about the saliva part fyi :lol:

Seriously, as far as what I do,
A basic lens cleaner (similar to what is used on eyeglass wear) should do the trick - they come in wipes too, even Biden approves them to you know wipe his crack :rofl:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Water spots are minerals in the water that have been deposited on the lens. You may have sucess therefore with something that disolves them such as the white vinegar suggested above - keep it off the seals as it's acidic, or alternaitvely some kind of slighl abrasive galss cleaner. I am presuming there's no coatings on the "lens" - I'm presuming here the lens in question isn't actually the lens but a glass cover over the lens.

Best prevention solution long term may be to either adjust the sprinkler so they don't get water onto the lens by moving them further away or using them only on still days, or alternatively by rinsing the lens after their use with de-ionised water - I believe you can buy it for battery top up use from car spares shops quite reasonably.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Prefacing the following with everything already said regarding knowing what the surface is that you are dealing with (glass v. plastic)

Micro abrasives in toothpaste is a great medium for putting a polish on things. Wet your thumb and index finger, add a small amount of toothpaste and rub you fingers to thin it out (literally and viscosity). Gently rub the surface with either finger and wipe with a soft damp cloth

Reaction score
So I researched this a little more, using something like 'removing water spots on shower door'.

Main answer is white vinegar mixed 50/50 with water. But they say let it sit for 30 minutes.

Second answer is to use a lemon slice and scrub the glass with it.

Some of the hits I got talked about cleaning your windshield (windscreen). One basically stated to use Mother's polish and fine steel wool. I have seen that done on RV windshields to help stop the wiper blades from bouncing.

So I did the white vinegar on a paper towel. I did not like the idea of letting it sit for 30 minutes as it would attack the water seal around the glass. If you looked at the original photo, you can see I am talking about the flat glass cover on the Z12E, not the actual varifocal lens. Once I get it the best I can, I am going to coat it with RAIN-X. I have had good results with it on other glass. I also will try to make something to deflect the spray.

That took off most of the minerals, probably carbonates. They are not as crusty and running a fingernail over it does not seem as bumpy as before. When I get a chance I will try the lemon slice method. I am apprehensive about doing anything that might scratch the glass, like steel wool or headlight abrasives.

Her is a before and after pic from the white vinegar cleaning. It did make a difference with the video quality.

Before IMG_4715.JPG After after vinegar2.JPG