Lens Cleaning

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
So I researched this a little more, using something like 'removing water spots on shower door'.

Main answer is white vinegar mixed 50/50 with water. But they say let it sit for 30 minutes.

Second answer is to use a lemon slice and scrub the glass with it.

Some of the hits I got talked about cleaning your windshield (windscreen). One basically stated to use Mother's polish and fine steel wool. I have seen that done on RV windshields to help stop the wiper blades from bouncing.

So I did the white vinegar on a paper towel. I did not like the idea of letting it sit for 30 minutes as it would attack the water seal around the glass. If you looked at the original photo, you can see I am talking about the flat glass cover on the Z12E, not the actual varifocal lens. Once I get it the best I can, I am going to coat it with RAIN-X. I have had good results with it on other glass. I also will try to make something to deflect the spray.

That took off most of the minerals, probably carbonates. They are not as crusty and running a fingernail over it does not seem as bumpy as before. When I get a chance I will try the lemon slice method. I am apprehensive about doing anything that might scratch the glass, like steel wool or headlight abrasives.

Her is a before and after pic from the white vinegar cleaning. It did make a difference with the video quality.

Before View attachment 143718 After View attachment 143717
Much improved although it looks like some further treatment might help.

I wonder if the rain-x alone would begin softening those spots, maybe after a few applications....That stuff was a Life saver on My Motor coach windshield
RainX is mostly protectant. I think it's silicone based.

There are far better protectants these days based on silicon formulations.

One potentially permanent but expensive solution would be to remove the minerals from the water by eg filling a tank with water passed through ion exhange resins and then pumping the tank water out through the sprinklers instead of the mains water. You could reduce the cost by maybe putting that one sprinkler if there is just one that's a problem on a purfied water system separately. Ion exchange is what those pole fed window washers do - they de-ionise the water and are then able to wash windows with only water that leaves no deposits or streaks.

It looks as if Sampenhold lives in a hard water area. An ion exchange example - this is no particular recommendation for either suitability or performance,.

You'd need to consult an expert on filling a water tank with purified water for a sprinkler system. It may or may not be possible or viable. This is just an example of the type filters out there:

Note there is an ongoing resin cost which varies according to the number of gallons produced as the resin is expendable.

A cheap solution as I indicated earlier would be to get some de-ionised water from a car spares shop - it's used for topping batteries up, and rinsing the camera lens with it immediately after you've had the sprinklers on and before the sprinkler water has had time to dry. You could probably use a small hand sprayer for this purpose that holds a litre or two or water. You'd just need to ensure you are in when the sprinkers activate and around when they finish. I'm guessing most automated systems probably come on later at night so being around is less of an issue. Mnay car washes use this solution. You wash the car with normal water and then spray it down with de-ionised at the end to avoid the water spots.

Reaction score
A cheap solution as I indicated earlier would be to get some de-ionised water from a car spares shop - it's used for topping batteries up, and rinsing the camera lens with it immediately after you've had the sprinklers on and before the sprinkler water has had time to dry. You could probably use a small hand sprayer for this purpose that holds a litre or two or water. You'd just need to ensure you are in when the sprinkers activate and around when they finish. I'm guessing most automated systems probably come on later at night so being around is less of an issue. Mnay car washes use this solution. You wash the car with normal water and then spray it down with de-ionised at the end to avoid the water spots.
Way more bother than I am willing to do. These come on at 5:30am. If we are not travelling, I am asleep at that time. By the time I get up, it has dried up long ago. We are gone for weeks at a time several times over the year. But thanks for the ideas and the time it took to write all of that.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
looks like lime scale or similar such as you get from hard water.

Scalex (Sulphamic Acid) will remove that pretty well.
The question is will it then also remove any special coatings that may be on there.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
looks like lime scale or similar such as you get from hard water.

Scalex (Sulphamic Acid) will remove that pretty well.
The question is will it then also remove any special coatings that may be on there.
Sulphamic Acid is an industrial scale remover and it WILL work. It is scary though. I like the lemon thing. Cut one in half and you have a built in applicator!

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Much improved although it looks like some further treatment might help.

RainX is mostly protectant. I think it's silicone based.

There are far better protectants these days based on silicon formulations.

One potentially permanent but expensive solution would be to remove the minerals from the water by eg filling a tank with water passed through ion exhange resins and then pumping the tank water out through the sprinklers instead of the mains water. You could reduce the cost by maybe putting that one sprinkler if there is just one that's a problem on a purfied water system separately. Ion exchange is what those pole fed window washers do - they de-ionise the water and are then able to wash windows with only water that leaves no deposits or streaks.

It looks as if Sampenhold lives in a hard water area. An ion exchange example - this is no particular recommendation for either suitability or performance,.

You'd need to consult an expert on filling a water tank with purified water for a sprinkler system. It may or may not be possible or viable. This is just an example of the type filters out there:

Note there is an ongoing resin cost which varies according to the number of gallons produced as the resin is expendable.

Hmm, not suggesting this but I've been using Turtlewax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic on our vehicles. The water beads for months after each use. I wonder if that would work for camera lenses? (again, not suggesting anyone do this on an expensive camera)

Here's a good video of a guy who tested a few of the options: