Lens Comparisons 4mm, 6mm, 12mm

pcmcg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If anyone has some pics, I would love to see some comparisons of different lenses on a hikvision 2032-i or 2332-i

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thats a big difference when you put it side by side.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Agreed.

Ideally I'd love to see some side by side outdoor images highlighting the difference between 2-4-6-12mm.

We pretty much know what 2 - 2.8 does, as in cover the widest area without going fish-eye, that 4 seems default, but there aren't any specs out there for this brand as to what angle they cover, nor any photos highlighting how much closer they bring something.

mjb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
4mm vs. 12mm

Here are two images from 2032 cameras pretty much mounted coaxially. For references, look at the large wood marker next to the driveway. The first camera has a 4mm lens. The second has a 12mm lens and is designed specifically to record license plates.

Attachments

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing mjb.

That setup is right in line with my personal ideas/needs.

I'm actually a bit surprised the 12mm isn't a bit tighter. The viewing width at the post is, what, 30ft wide (if the gap at the posts is 10) at 100+ft away?

mjb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll run some measurements next time I'm down there and report back.

MJB

RDC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yep thanks for sharing mjb.
Ive made mistakes in the past buying 2.8mm. I thought it as great having the field of view but at night identifying people/faces was impossible, making my 2.8mm installs useless :(

Bow94z

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is a 2032 bullet 4mm vs 6mm in the same exact location. Currently using the 6mm. In the nighttime pics, I am using a 48led ir illuminator 5ft left of the camera. Mounted on a deck 4ft high. About 150ft from shed

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

n4gry

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Today I was moving some cameras around and checking them out before remounting them... So I was pointing them out the window and taking snapshots... I thought I would share some..

1. Hikvision 2032 4mm
2. Going X39C20M 6mm
3. Anran 16mm
4. IQinvision 50mm

View attachment 578 View attachment 579 View attachment 580 View attachment 581

I know the Anran is out of focus at that distance but not in it's normal use at 25-30' from the camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice outdoor comparison.

What do you do for dusk-dawn IR lighting on the telephoto ones?

n4gry

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The top of the driveway (that you can see in the pictures) is about 1/8th of a mile from the camera. I don't think IR will work quite that far but that is only one camera (the IQinvision w/50mm lens) that covers the far driveway and I have that for LPR (license plate reader) day time only but it will trip after dark when you have headlights on.... Ha hahhahaha

The other cameras do not cover that far area. The Going cam has three large IR lights that can easily light up to 90 feet away from the camera. But are covering the front porch area that is about 35 foot away from where it is mounted. (When I get them all reinstalled)

View attachment 601

The Anran has four of the large IR's and can light up to 100' but it is covering the shed at about 25-30' from where it is mounted...

View attachment 602
I have been playing with an idea of a defused laser beam with a IR Filter.... Just a thought!

If they get close to the house at night it is lit up in IR...

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Somehow ;) I figured that somebody with your level of setup was going be interested in seeing through the dark :)

I don't know, IR might maybe reach that far our, but at the cost probably of turning everything closer white.

The hikvision cams I have received and in mind, probably won't cover the distance and width I need them to cover, so I'm foreseeing some standalone IR help on a string. Which is what I did with some remote floodlights for human visibility. But that doesn't necessarily help night vision for the camera. Since I'm new to this stuff, I won't know till the cameras are hung.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My 12mm bullet arrived. Hooked up temporarily, compared handheld side by side to a 4mm. Amazing difference in a way, after trialing a 2.8 and 4mm.

In the living room, pointing around, it only gives you a sliver and basically just shows the flat screen TV, instead of the whole wall ... haha.

I think this will work well for a driveway closeup and maybe a wildlife cam shooting over a bit of a distance into an open space in the back yard.

Ballpark guide, from the looks of it, if you have a 4mm and are curious what a 12 mm would show, divide the 4mm on screen image in 3 equally spaced columns and 3 rows (grid of 9); then the center rectangle is what the 12 mm shows.

I'll probably order a 2-12 dome next. More money, but enclosed protection and convenience of dialing in the FOV and focus.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It isn't a comparison, I know, but here is a 2332 with 2.8mm lens in a small storage unit converted into a storage/utility room.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bows94z, thanks for posting that. I confirms that the 6mm does some sort of color shift over the 4mm (and 12mm). It's sort of like a purplish hue you would get from a bad IR filter but very faint, but still notifiable. I changed HUE down to zero and that seams to bring the colors back to normal. I wonder what they did different in the 6mm. Is it a design flaw in the lens, are they using a different IR cut filter?

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Once again the big boys are in front of the curve, much appreciated.
Question, charge back on cc if not resolved?