lens help ?

TheDamski

n3wb
Reaction score
looking to install a few dahua T5442TM AS cameras on the front of my house, do the 3.6mm lens variant look ok on this ipvm screenshot ? one mounted on garage and one on front of house. Garage to end of driveway is 7m and front of house to end of driveway is around 8m. should i swap the garage to a 6mm lens ? apologies for the noob question its all new to me ! Trying to install a half decent camera system as the 10 year old ebay special ones have died !

all help appreciated :)
Adam
Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 19.19.57.png

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you considered paying a little bit more for a varifocal model? You can then adjust it to whatever FOV works best and if you decided to move/ repurpose the camera you're not stuck with the original FOV.

I've also found that the varifocal lenses tend to give a clearer picture (better lens quality?) than the equivalent fixed lens model. (At least that's the case with some Hikvision cameras I've got, I've only one Dahua which is a varifocal.)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
looking to install a few dahua T5442TM AS cameras on the front of my house, do the 3.6mm lens variant look ok on this ipvm screenshot ? one mounted on garage and one on front of house. Garage to end of driveway is 7m and front of house to end of driveway is around 8m. should i swap the garage to a 6mm lens ? apologies for the noob question its all new to me ! Trying to install a half decent camera system as the 10 year old ebay special ones have died !

all help appreciated :)
Adam
View attachment 56453
Hi @TheDamski

Try to get 100 ppf ( about 330 ppm ) with at least one of the cameras - use the IPVM calculator to help - you want a chance at getting a good ID image of anyone walking on the sidewalk towards your cars.

Attachments

TheDamski

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you considered paying a little bit more for a varifocal model? You can then adjust it to whatever FOV works best and if you decided to move/ repurpose the camera you're not stuck with the original FOV.

I've also found that the varifocal lenses tend to give a clearer picture (better lens quality?) than the equivalent fixed lens model. (At least that's the case with some Hikvision cameras I've got, I've only one Dahua which is a varifocal.)
thank you i may end up going down that route and buying one varifocal just to find optimal FOV, thanks for the advice :)

TheDamski

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @TheDamski

Try to get 100 ppf ( about 330 ppm ) with at least one of the cameras - use the IPVM calculator to help - you want a chance at getting a good ID image of anyone walking on the sidewalk towards your cars.
thank you this helped a lot, changed out the garage cam to the 6mm fixed lens on IPVM and it put the ppm around the 330 mark at the sidewalk border of my driveway, the other camera i will leave at 3.6mm lens as more of an overall view point.
appreciate the help :)