Less latency and skipping

Silhorn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I've got a generic ip cam from my local supplier.

I have used them on a nvr, pc, and phone. There is always at least at least 0.5 to 1 second delay time.

Today in it's own web viewer page in live view I noticed all main stream, substream and third stream each had it's own 3 options. These are real time, balanced and fluent. Fluent and balanced gave me same delay time of 0.5 to 1 second. The real time setting reduced the delay noticeably even in the full resolution main stream.

What does this real time setting do?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't own any Hikvision cams or NVR but this is what my Google Fu provided, as the terms "real time" (or "clear"?), "balanced' and "fluent" seem to be more associated with their equipment and VMS software:

"Real-time" is direct feed of the stream according to the camera settings. "Balanced" and "Fluent" will automatically adjust the stream's frame rates and bit rates to smooth out the quality of the live image, especially valuable if you are viewing remotely and the network speed and bandwidth is lower than when you are on your LAN at home.

Any insight on this, @alastairstevenson ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
No more insight than you've already provided, I think it explains the choice well enough. Under the covers the networking works hard to keep things steady, but there are limits when there is congestion or missed packets. So these settings can take away some rough edges.