Let's say NVR 4 ports and 5 ipcams...simple question :)

k0ral

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a doubt..
Let's say that I have a NVR with 4 ports.
Let's say that 4 ipcams are directly connected to the 4 ports AND one ipcam (let's say wifi one) is connected directly to my modem/router to the same LAN of the NVR.
Can I use the NVR to save ALSO the stream of the 5th ipcam?

I haven't ever seen an NVR but if it is a simple server with an IP address...I think that I can "say" to the 5th ipcam....

"save your stream to server X at this IP address Y!"

Is it right?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Can I use the NVR to save ALSO the stream of the 5th ipcam?
With a Hikvision 4 channel NVR it will only allow connections from 4 cameras no matter how they are connected.
The 4-channel designation applies to the logical number of channels, not the physical number of ports.

k0ral

n3wb
Reaction score
With a Hikvision 4 channel NVR it will only allow connections from 4 cameras no matter how they are connected.
The 4-channel designation applies to the logical number of channels, not the physical number of ports.
Is it the same fro Dahua NVR?
I was thinking to buy NVR4108-P

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Unless you get an 8 channel recorder that is not possible. They do make 8 channel recorders with 4 PoE ports, in which case what you describe is mandatory. Hikvision NVRs will only logically assign n number of cameras to n number of ports. So, an 8 channel recorder with 4 ports can only put 4 cams on that network switch. Daisy chaining another switch will not work. Since your wifi camera is on your main LAN, that is perfectly acceptable and is actually how you have to do it for cameras that exceed port numbers. 8 channel 4 port recorders aren't common but they are made and are cheaper. The PoE switch is what adds the most cost to any of Hikvision's embedded recorders. Maybe other brands too, I haven't looked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have exactly what you describe, now everyone is right about the NVR only being able to record and stream four IP Cameras. However Last night I added a fifth Camera to my Network, not to MY NVR but my Network, I was able to get all 5 streaming Cameras with the iVMS-4200 Software, Although I had to purchase a POE Injector and a SD Card for motion Recording, Mostly all Hikvision Cameras have built in NVR capabilities.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
IVMS is nothing more than a viewer so you can add as many IP streams as you want (actually, it's 256, but realistically the hardware in your computer is the true limit, and the network as well). The NVR you buy is hardware/firmware limited to only allow X number of cameras based on model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk