Lets talk next level PTZ's with Laser IR

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Here are some Daytime/Nightime Tracks.

Did had much human activity at night but here is one from night where It show how clearly it can now pickup someone walking..

Also there is a lot to Learn still for me, There are tons of good suggestion he was able to give me. Lot to absorb

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you post your daytime settings? Like to compare notes. (

I can’t run IR at night where I have it due to too many reflective street signs in the view

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Also here is the 4/3 Tracking set again by @Wildcat_1 and also the daytime/nighttime settings.

Its starting to get dark now but here is the tracking right around sunset.

This is the SD8A820WA-HNF

Also another tracking event on this 4/3 cam.

Thank you so much Wildcat for all your time and effort this is really helping my system as a whole :)

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 is a wizard with these cams! There were so many things he did to my 49425 LOL. And yes, it is clear that each person's location makes a big difference and what works someplace may not work somewhere else.

I always knew that you shouldn't chase a bright picture - it looks nice and people migrate towards a brighter TV for example, but upon closer examination, most images need to be toned down in order to get all the details, so I had mine adjusted fairly well, but the little changes he made also impacts tracking of items and I was surprised how much changing a parameter like gamma could impact tracking. For example, if you have a pesky tree or something in the middle of the view during an autotrack, just by changing some image parameters you can get autotrack to pass it.

Making the image a little darker at night actually helped with tracking someone across the street, which was opposite of what I thought you would think to do. And we saw your image to his image was a lot darker.

In my case, I have a yard lamp post that more times than not autotrack would get stuck on it as someone was walking and the autotrack would only go so far. Because my image has soo much contrast (bright white concrete a third, blacktop road a third, grass a third), he could make changes to gamma and some others to make the lamp post not be so "trackable" lol, but he didn't like the rest of the image, so he went back to his prior settings and turned of PFA and that gave it just enough time to retrack the person walking past the lamp post. The camera may still autotrack the lamp post when a small kid goes by, but an adult it was autotracking past the lamp post. He could also fix that somewhere else, but he worked on finding the balance between all the different scenarios the cam could be autotracking in. In short, he had several different tricks in how to get around it and probably had a few more up his sleeve if we didn't like where we settled on.

A big issue I had was I couldn't get the autotrack to zoom in closer than 7x. Just by changing your initial FOV and adjusting IVS size to give what he called headroom made a big difference. Not using a minimum target size made a big difference. This thing will now zoom in 25x and have a nice tight shot of someone.

I know there were lots of other little things that he did just based on his experiences with all different types of cameras, but these were a few of the big ones I remember. And I have learned a few as well as I have modified my presets. One is within the field of view and the IVS rules, the less the camera has to pan left or right or up or down to start the tracking, the better it will be.

Like I said, I was generally pleased with how I had set it up, but he took it to a whole new level. If he offers to help, take him up on it - you will not be disappointed.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
You are welcome @tech101. This is the start of many great caps for you. Mailvan, couple walking at night, skateboarding dog guy, Segway solicitors hahahah all great caps as you saw when I completed the work and now with dialing in your PTZ’s and other cams hope you enjoy the system.

I did perform a system overhaul and then custom config for your setup. As mentioned these may not work for all as each install location, FOV, lighting and target requirements are different and I dial in for each. If you or others need help then just reach out.

I will also post all the under hood settings I tweaked as well.
Enjoy !

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 is a wizard with these cams! There were so many things he did to my 49425 LOL. And yes, it is clear that each person's location makes a big difference and what works someplace may not work somewhere else.

I always knew that you shouldn't chase a bright picture - it looks nice and people migrate towards a brighter TV for example, but upon closer examination, most images need to be toned down in order to get all the details, so I had mine adjusted fairly well, but the little changes he made also impacts tracking of items and I was surprised how much changing a parameter like gamma could impact tracking. For example, if you have a pesky tree or something in the middle of the view during an autotrack, just by changing some image parameters you can get autotrack to pass it.

Making the image a little darker at night actually helped with tracking someone across the street, which was opposite of what I thought you would think to do. And we saw your image to his image was a lot darker.

In my case, I have a yard lamp post that more times than not autotrack would get stuck on it as someone was walking and the autotrack would only go so far. Because my image has soo much contrast (bright white concrete a third, blacktop road a third, grass a third), he could make changes to gamma and some others to make the lamp post not be so "trackable" lol, but he didn't like the rest of the image, so he went back to his prior settings and turned of PFA and that gave it just enough time to retrack the person walking past the lamp post. The camera may still autotrack the lamp post when a small kid goes by, but an adult it was autotracking past the lamp post. He could also fix that somewhere else, but he worked on finding the balance between all the different scenarios the cam could be autotracking in. In short, he had several different tricks in how to get around it and probably had a few more up his sleeve if we didn't like where we settled on.

A big issue I had was I couldn't get the autotrack to zoom in closer than 7x. Just by changing your initial FOV and adjusting IVS size to give what he called headroom made a big difference. Not using a minimum target size made a big difference. This thing will now zoom in 25x and have a nice tight shot of someone.

I know there were lots of other little things that he did just based on his experiences with all different types of cameras, but these were a few of the big ones I remember. And I have learned a few as well as I have modified my presets. One is within the field of view and the IVS rules, the less the camera has to pan left or right or up or down to start the tracking, the better it will be.

Like I said, I was generally pleased with how I had set it up, but he took it to a whole new level. If he offers to help, take him up on it - you will not be disappointed.
Thanks for the kind words @wittaj much appreciated and you know you can reach out to me if you need anything at any time.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Here are some Daytime/Nightime Tracks.

Did had much human activity at night but here is one from night where It show how clearly it can now pickup someone walking..

Also there is a lot to Learn still for me, There are tons of good suggestion he was able to give me. Lot to absorb
I knew you would like those tracks when I dialed them in :) That dog did look suspicious but would have looked better if I captured it on the Segway ;)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score