License plate cam

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HI all !

I am new to this forum but have read a few posts and it seems like people know what they are talking about. I think I have come to the right place!!

I need suggestions and help from some experienced users. My new setup is Dahua NVR 5416 16 POE 4k , 6TB WD purple NVR hdd, and a 4tb Seagate Celest . Cams from older system Dahua 1.3 Megapixel 720p Bullet IP Camera, 1.3 Megapixel 720p Dome IR IP Camera . The system is installed at my residence for security of my home and children ( primary reason kids ).

I need a good but don't break the bank license plate reader cam. I live in the country but the road is heavily traveled with lots of people pulling in the drive, turning around, asking for help because they are lost and so on. Recently there have been 23 homes with there cars broken into at night. I think a plate cam is in order....Also for the safety of my kids when they get off the bus.

My driveway is approx. 150 from the garage to the street with a straight clear path. What do you suggest ?

I am also looking into getting a camera with FACE DETECTION ... Catch them in the act! What recommendations do you have for this ?

Hey while I am at it outdoor PTZ ? Starter , entry level pricing but still a good cam ??

Hope to hear back from users on my cry for help.......

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
face detection dont work..

Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

For LPR Camera, I found this one lastnight: Original Dahua stellar camera 4MP DH IPC HFW4431K I6 Network IP IR Bullet H265 H264 CCTV POE IPC HFW4431K I6 with bracket-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group but nobody has the 25mm version in stock.. they can order you the 25mm version but you'll wait weeks.. and that 25mm is only going to see out to about 100ft for plate reading.

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
face detection dont work..

Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

For LPR Camera, I found this one lastnight: Original Dahua stellar camera 4MP DH IPC HFW4431K I6 Network IP IR Bullet H265 H264 CCTV POE IPC HFW4431K I6 with bracket-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group but nobody has the 25mm version in stock.. they can order you the 25mm version but you'll wait weeks.. and that 25mm is only going to see out to about 100ft for plate reading.
Wow thanks for the fast reply !

So what do you mean the Face detection does not work ? I specifically purchased the 5400 pro series NVR based on the new software installed to have the face detection feature. It is supposed to capture the faces and save them in a separate file on the NVR. If my research is correct you need a IVS cam with Face Detection.

I am going to have to check out the LPR suggestion tonight. My work place has the site blocked. Grrrrr. The 100 ft may work considering the cars pull in a full car length before backing out.

What do you think about a cam with IR that has a motorized zoom lens ? Set it to see the end of the drive with a trip wire setting ?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So what do you mean the Face detection does not work ? I specifically purchased the 5400 pro series NVR based on the new software installed to have the face detection feature. It is supposed to capture the faces and save them in a separate file on the NVR. If my research is correct you need a IVS cam with Face Detection.
I haven't seen anything to indicate it would function that way. face detection is a toy at this point, it doesn't react to actual faces reliably enough and often thinks shadows and cars are faces. Enabling face detection also disables more useful IVS features like line crossing, intrusion, and loitering detection.

For LPR advice, consider posing a screenshot from google maps satellite view so we get a better sense of the angles. I suspect you may need to bury cable and put the cam closer to the road.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Im reading plates at 180ft with 60mm optics, when you find a motorized zoom camera with 60mm optics that dont cost you an arm and a leg leme kno..

That camera with 25mm optics is the most zoom ive seen on a fixed camera, so if you wnt to see 150ft entirely your gonna have to get a camera closer to the target.. rent a trencher and lay down some conduit to a lighthouse/windmill yard decoration.

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I checked out your threads for the other two cams . They look good and prices seems reasonable. So if I want to order them from ( Andy ? ) how do I go about doing that ?

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im reading plates at 180ft with 60mm optics, when you find a motorized zoom camera with 60mm optics that dont cost you an arm and a leg leme kno..

That camera with 25mm optics is the most zoom ive seen on a fixed camera, so if you wnt to see 150ft entirely your gonna have to get a camera closer to the target.. rent a trencher and lay down some conduit to a lighthouse/windmill yard decoration.
I could trench it . When you have a teenage boy labor comes cheap!! Let's say I do trench and get within 25ft of the end of the drive. What LPR is reasonably priced with IR and wont take weeks to order ? Is it the same as the first suggestion but without the 25mm ?

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything to indicate it would function that way. face detection is a toy at this point, it doesn't react to actual faces reliably enough and often thinks shadows and cars are faces. Enabling face detection also disables more useful IVS features like line crossing, intrusion, and loitering detection.

For LPR advice, consider posing a screenshot from google maps satellite view so we get a better sense of the angles. I suspect you may need to bury cable and put the cam closer to the road.
If I enable face detection does that disable the other functions on the NVR or are you just talking about the camera ? If its just the camera no problem , I will just install a camera for that function alone. If its the NVR , well that is problematic since I would want to use some of the other features. At some point I want to install a came with a trip line in my garage . If you get past my alarm and the dog I will have a backup.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IVS features are on the cameras, the NVR just reads the signal.. Some features are mutually exclusive and you cant run them at the same time.. Facial Detection will disable all other IVS features, and the other IVS features are far more reliable..

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Put a gate up to stop people from turning around on your driveway. ;)
Better still a gate and gate opener so you aren't constantly getting out of the car to open / close it. Just don't run your burial rated network cable and 120v UF in the same trench.

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you get within 40ft or so you can run a 12mm or lesser lens, check out this one: Dahua 4MP Varifocal Bullet (IPC-HFW5421E-Z)
LOL Cat cam.. nice write up. You have given me a few things to consider. I am going to read up more on these cams and may want to bounce a few things off you guys once I narrow down the cams I am going to start with.

Since I am a virgin at the home security NVR cam thing , good guidance is a plus in my book. When people help me I am a firm believer in paying it forward.

This forum is great and you guys rock ! Not knocking others but there are a few not so friendly forums on the net.

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Better still a gate and gate opener so you aren't constantly getting out of the car to open / close it. Just don't run your burial rated network cable and 120v UF in the same trench.
Some days I just want to put up a motion activated catapult filled with cow poooo. Turn in my drive and SPLAT !

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some days I just want to put up a motion activated catapult filled with cow poooo. Turn in my drive and SPLAT !
a gate or automated paintball gun is probably easier and less clean up. maybe start with some NO TRESPASSING signs at the end of the driveway.

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and laughs . I will post back here soon when I make cam decisions.

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good Morning all ! If I get and PTZ cam will the iDMM Lite app work to control that cam or do I need to get another piece of hardware?