License plate cam

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sure, but touchscreen control of PTZ"s is pretty lame IMHO..

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
sure, but touchscreen control of PTZ"s is pretty lame IMHO..
I want to be able to check things out when I am not at home so using my iphone is a plus.
What kinda of controller would you suggest to hook into the NVR if I wanted a hard wired control?

nosnoop

n3wb
Reaction score
I am also looking at buying a cam for LPR and not sure what to get.

The cam needs to capture license plate about 125ft away at 35 degree angle. Is SD49225T-HN a good choice?
How about Huisun Mini PTZ 10x? (Though all sellers are selling this in lot of 10 at Aliexpress...)

And I see some cameras which as dedicated LPR function. Someone mentioned Hikvision DS-2CD4A26FWD-IZ in this thread:
DS-2CD4A26FWD-IZ with Onboard LPR/ANPR(License Plate Recognition)
But I can't description of this LRP function any where in camera listing or Hikvision web site.

And these cams sold in Aliexpress 1080P 2.0MP Highway Motor Way/Toll Station License Plate Recognition LPR IP Camera 2.8 12mm Varifocal Lens,Waterproof IP66-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Do they work? Would it be easier for setting up as they have LRP function built-in?

Thanks in advance.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I see a couple of fixed-lenses models posted here, but just to make sure--an LPR camera "should" be preferably vari-focal (especially on a long driveway), right?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a Good news, the IPC-HFW5431E-Z5 stock in now, can ship to @nayr soon for a review. He would be the first guy get this camera.lol
Bad news is dahua pending their shipping till 14th, so all orders can process then. So total 2 weeks delayed, so sorry for this!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I am also looking at buying a cam for LPR and not sure what to get.

The cam needs to capture license plate about 125ft away at 35 degree angle. Is SD49225T-HN a good choice?
How about Huisun Mini PTZ 10x? (Though all sellers are selling this in lot of 10 at Aliexpress...)

And I see some cameras which as dedicated LPR function. Someone mentioned Hikvision DS-2CD4A26FWD-IZ in this thread:
DS-2CD4A26FWD-IZ with Onboard LPR/ANPR(License Plate Recognition)
But I can't description of this LRP function any where in camera listing or Hikvision web site.

And these cams sold in Aliexpress 1080P 2.0MP Highway Motor Way/Toll Station License Plate Recognition LPR IP Camera 2.8 12mm Varifocal Lens,Waterproof IP66-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Do they work? Would it be easier for setting up as they have LRP function built-in?

Thanks in advance.

I'm no expert but my own experience with LPR at about 80-100 ft and about 30 degree angle of attack proved to be very hit and miss and about the outside limit, particularly if the vehicle was moving at 20mph+ using an Axis 1080P vari-focal camera, especially at night. The angle of attack consideration was something that became crystal clear to me once we installed another cam at about the same distance at another choke point that caught the plate directly head on - Yuuge difference.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
What's the pricing going to be like for the IPC-HFW5431E-Z5?

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
~$210 IIRC
Hey Guys,

I have a Good news, the IPC-HFW5431E-Z5 stock in now, can ship to @nayr soon for a review. He would be the first guy get this camera.lol
Bad news is dahua pending their shipping till 14th, so all orders can process then. So total 2 weeks delayed, so sorry for this!
Definitely want to see that write up.. I have been considering this camera. Hopefully @nayr will have some good pictures and videos posted for comparison.

nosnoop

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi nayr: Can you comment whether SD49225T-HN would work in my case? 120-125ft at 35 degree?
Have you tested any of those dedicated LPR cam?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i wouldent suggest a PTZ for LPR use, that distance should be doable with the 4MP Z5 Ive been talking about, but that angle sux

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
For LPR, we'd be better avoiding 4MP fixed lenses on this one and go with vari-focal all the way, right?

i wouldent suggest a PTZ for LPR use, that distance should be doable with the 4MP Z5 Ive been talking about, but that angle sux

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you'll want a varifocal, at these distances plates are at a different focal point.. you'll set focus at night, and might want to readjust it in the day depending if you need a sharper image.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks Ryan, is there any way to program such parameters (day / night) to automatically engage the focus at particular times? I don't want to feel like I'm constantly watching over the surveillance system, unless the alarm kicks in. Is there also a way to program the vari focal camera to automatically zoom in anytime it detects motion in a particular area, using the pixel selection process?

you'll want a varifocal, at these distances plates are at a different focal point.. you'll set focus at night, and might want to readjust it in the day depending if you need a sharper image.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you can change focus/zoom externally via API Scripts, but doing based off activity isint going to work.. its not a Speed Dome PTZ, the varifocal is far too slow its never going to work.. your going to detect motion and then immediately ruin the focus for the next 20-30s