Life Expectancy of Dahua cams?

wagwan

n3wb
Reaction score
Wondering how long we should expect these cams to last? I have two HDW4433C-A that failed this week. Both are 2-3 years old and were in protected locations (one in the garage) so no water intrusion or corroded connections. Maybe heat? I’m in Florida.

They are great cams while they are working but if they fail every couple of years, the cost starts to add up! Trying to decide if I should replace them with new Dahuas or switch to something longer lasting?

What are your thoughts / experiences?

railcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wondering how long we should expect these cams to last? I have two HDW4433C-A that failed this week. Both are 2-3 years old and were in protected locations (one in the garage) so no water intrusion or corroded connections. Maybe heat? I’m in Florida.

They are great cams while they are working but if they fail every couple of years, the cost starts to add up! Trying to decide if I should replace them with new Dahuas or switch to something longer lasting?

Does any electronic equipment last long in this day and age.
You would expect Axis cams to have a long life given the price, but we had one wehere the sensor failed after a couple of months granted they replaced it under warranty but it was a long drawn out procedure.
We have over a 100 Dahua various models in service and probably a few dozen Hikvision left to replace. Hikvison camera replacements were mainly due to water/ condensation ingress. We expect to be replacing the Dahuas after around 4-5 years as they are all in exposed areas and tend to find the sunlight degrades the sensors.
We currently have a Dahua SD49225XA-HNR that has failed after 2 weeks in service witha faulty tilt mechanism ( pan and zoom are fine) This is being dealt with by Dahua UK & Ireland as soon as we can recover the camera.
We actually had one Hikvision PTZ where the sun and lens caused the zoom mechanism to melt.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

I have many many dahua cams in service I have yet to see one completely fail though as we see here on the forum some do. Every brand has failures. I would note that you are using cheap china market dahuas not international models.

wagwan

n3wb
Reaction score
I have many many dahua cams in service I have yet to see one completely fail though as we see here on the forum some do. Every brand has failures. I would note that you are using cheap china market dahuas not international models.
I have several different Dahua models in service. I thought the Chinese market models were more to do with firmware / software differences than hardware differences. These actually look quite well made internally. How do you identify the international models from China market?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have about 10 different models of Dahua cams, some running 24x7 for over 5 years in temperature range -20F to 100+F. With the exception of one model, none have failed. With the chinese market 4431R-Z, all have failed. It's not strictly a chinese market thing, however, as all of the chinese market 4431-M and 4431-K cameras are still going. The failure rate for me is associated with particular models.

Judman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a handful of Dahua and Hikvision cams that have been running five-seven years, 24/7, in the Alabama heat with zero failures.

One has even spent two summers in an attic space where it gets up to 130℉.

Edit: Forgot to say how many years they have been running 24/7.

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I have bought several Dahua cams and have had only one failure and that was due to extreme conditions. I've had several that get outdated, but my family and friends get those. ;) I'm still waiting for my PTZ to fail as I want to buy a new tracking model along with other features. Might have to just donate it as well. :rofl:

52.jpg

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The only camera (and my first camera) that failed after 5 years was an indoor WiFi D-link camera inside the window area.

All my out-door cameras that installed the last 4 years mainly Dahua/Amcrest and Hikvision still working good under the sun and snow.