Like to downgrade R0 series from 5.4.5 to 5.2.5 (original english cams)

azetat

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, probably someone have some input for my:
  • I run a setup of 8x DS-2CD2T32-I8 (R0, original english) cams, which I flashed to 5.2.5 (with 4-lines hack) a couple of years before.
  • Now, I bought a identical (for spare) original english DS-2CD2T32-I8 but it initially came with 5.4.5 firmware
  • I used TFTP to flash the "old proven" 5.2.5 on it (with 4-lines hack) .... but it does not complete the update.
  • Luckily, I'm able to TFTP back the original 5.4.5 firmware without any problem (but I have only 1 line crossing and 1 intrusion detection zone then...)
Question: is there any way to get it (R0, original english) back from 5.4.5 to any 4-lines hack firmware (like the 5.2.5, I already have at the other cams ??)

BTW. I already tried this (used hiktools and set language flag to 1)... but no success:
--Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English--

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
With firmware 5.4.0 and later, there is an 'anti-rollback' feature that prevents downgrading to earlier firmware, via both the web GUI and also the tftp updater.
Many cameras - such as the CN versions that were sold with 'hacked to English' non-updateable firmware - simply brick when 5.4.0 or 5.4.5 is applied, resulting in a Catch-22 situation. Can't run the new firmware - can't roll back to older ones.

I'm unfamiliar with that specific camera - but if it has the same internal firmware arrangement as the more common R0 series, I created a 'brick-fix' tool to allow recovery (of those bricked) and subsequent downgrading. This may well work with yours.
Hik brick-fix and downgrader tool - R0 / DS-2CD2x32 IP cameras.
I'm slightly hesitant to supply it as it has not been tried on your specific camera - and as we know, there is always some uncertainty associated with Hikvision firmware operations.

azetat

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Alastair, since it is a spare cam and it came back to 5.4.5 securely after each of my (unsuccessful) flashing attempts- may I try your tool? I'll report my findings to you.
But it is an original english cam, I probably need a bit advice. I assume, it was primarily written for Chinese cams and its issues in flashing...

azetat

n3wb
Reaction score
Success! It worked flawlessly. I managed it back to 5.2.5 (with 4-lines hack) without any issue.
Great job- THANKYOU!!

More in conversation...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done!
Always nice to get a good outcome.
Despite Hikvision's attempts to trip up their users who try to make best use of their products.

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
With firmware 5.4.0 and later, there is an 'anti-rollback' feature that prevents downgrading to earlier firmware, via both the web GUI and also the tftp updater.
Many cameras - such as the CN versions that were sold with 'hacked to English' non-updateable firmware - simply brick when 5.4.0 or 5.4.5 is applied, resulting in a Catch-22 situation. Can't run the new firmware - can't roll back to older ones.

I'm unfamiliar with that specific camera - but if it has the same internal firmware arrangement as the more common R0 series, I created a 'brick-fix' tool to allow recovery (of those bricked) and subsequent downgrading. This may well work with yours.
Hik brick-fix and downgrader tool - R0 / DS-2CD2x32 IP cameras.
I'm slightly hesitant to supply it as it has not been tried on your specific camera - and as we know, there is always some uncertainty associated with Hikvision firmware operations.
alastairstevenson,
I too would like to revert my SWANN HD-820CAM (Hikvision DS-2CD2032) from 5.4.5 to 5.2.5 or even back to the original 4.0.9. I see multiple links to various tool posts, could you please share the link to the latest post that has the tool? thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I too would like to revert my SWANN HD-820CAM (Hikvision DS-2CD2032) from 5.4.5 to 5.2.5
To overcome the 'downgrade block' that Hikvision introduced in version 5.4.0 you could apply the brickfixV2 firmware and then use the version 5.2.5 from here : Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English as the final 'upgrade' target.
The brickfixV2 method is here : R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.
But be aware that those earlier firmware versions do have the 'Hikvision backdoor' vulnerability, which has been widely exploited for those cameras subject to 'port forwarding' for access from the internet.