Limiting space per drive, not per-folder basis

Matt L.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Gripe warning:

I dont understand why BI has option to limit space allocated on a per-folder basis. That isn't the reality for folders storing video, which is dynamic. Folders do not have space constraints in normal PC situations, the drives do. I'd be limiting my space if I limited say folders "HD", "New", and "Resiszed" to a arbitrary max space. Collectivley, they should have a limit. It doesn't do that, I'm pretty sure 5 doesn't either, as I haven't upgraded.

For this, I will likely write a C++ routine to check for free space on the drives that get the video data and run deletes if it is past a threshold % free space left. Old stuff I keep only first 5 days of each month, heavily compressed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Gripe warning:

I dont understand why BI has option to limit space allocated on a per-folder basis. That isn't the reality for folders storing video, which is dynamic. Folders do not have space constraints in normal PC situations, the drives do. I'd be limiting my space if I limited say folders "HD", "New", and "Resiszed" to a arbitrary max space. Collectivley, they should have a limit. It doesn't do that, I'm pretty sure 5 doesn't either, as I haven't upgraded.

For this, I will likely write a C++ routine to check for free space on the drives that get the video data and run deletes if it is past a threshold % free space left. Old stuff I keep only first 5 days of each month, heavily compressed.
There is a very good reason for this. In your scenario there is never a need to have distinct folders aside from ocd. The purpose of distinct folders is to allow you to Set different retention times for various sets of cameras.