line detection setup advice

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
Line detection is driving me nuts

Camera DS-2CD2342WD-1 and a DS-7604NI-E1/4P/A Nvr both have latest firmware and working fine

I can set normal red square motion detection and if this gets triggered each recording is shown in the timeline via a web interface

but how the heck do you set the line detection to record and display the same ??, i am getting too many false positives with normal red square motion detection so i want to use line detection and review them via the web interface

Do i leave motion detection enabled but remove all red squares ?? do i switch it off and only have smart event > line crossing enabled ?? under storage > schedule settings > do i choose motion ?? continuous ?? event ?? all i want is to record what crosses the line and have those events show in the timeline ?? i have local > rules > enabled so i can see what is being detected but so far i have yet to be able to record a line crossing

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think it is EVENT under schedule, or maybe ALARM if you have that option.

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i am at the point of giving up tbh, no matter what i keep getting false positives, i did figure out that schedule should be set to EVENT but even if i set line detection away from passing traffic, for whatever reason line detection gets triggered, a green square tracks a vehicle passing then turns to red which indicates recording, this happens even when the line is no where near the passing vehicle... i need to get back onto the NVR locally rather that using the web interface, something seems wrong

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The green box that goes around the moving objects easily trips lines that are halfway across your screen.. On my Dahua, to enable/disable the green tracking box you need to go to settings and turn off SCENE CHANGE. That should stop the green box from happening on moving objects. That's what enabled it on my DAHUA NVR.

marid2apterbilt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The green box that goes around the moving objects easily trips lines that are halfway across your screen.. On my Dahua, to enable/disable the green tracking box you need to go to settings and turn off SCENE CHANGE. That should stop the green box from happening on moving objects. That's what enabled it on my DAHUA NVR.
What NVR model are you using and where is the "scene change" setting exactly ?

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a 16 Channel Dahua NVR. I'm not sure on the model exactly, but it's under EVENT > IVS > Scene Change Tab (enable/disable)

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
on the Hikvision NVR scene change is not available, and the line i created was only short...

The Hikvision green tracking boxs are only visible on the web interface if line detection or intrusion detection is set, and this is only available if the camera supports it, neither of these settings seem to work properly via web interface

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The Hikvision green tracking boxs are only visible on the web interface if line detection or intrusion detection is set,
The green boxes are for motion detection.
Line crossing detection and intrusion detection simply show red, instead of the initial green, when triggered, on the web interface.

Defender666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I read somewhere that it is possible to get back 4 detection lines instead of only 1 on DS-2CD2632F-IS. Can someone help to achieve this?

Thank you.

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a DS-7632N-E2/8P NVR (FW v.3.0.8, build 140825) and 4 cameras

- 2 x DS-2CD2032-I (FW - v.5.2.5)
- 1 x DS-2CD2132F-IS (FW - v.5.30)
- 1 x DS-2CD2432F-IW (FW - v.5.3.3)

I have set up line crossing for the 2 DS-2CD2032's and they work very effectively.

I have one camera in my basement furnace room of my vacation home that allows me to see a thermostat so I can verify the temperature and see the floor. I placed the camera there because I have a wireless water leak sensor that has given me a few false alarms! Now when I get a leak alarm notification I can see the floor and quickly determine if there is a real leak. Anyway, I also originally had motion detection set on this camera which was a pain because if there was an insect in the room or any dust movement I was constantly getting emails! Since I moved to line crossing detection I have had no false alarms!

Similarly the outside camera for my driveway, with line crossing detection, has been quite reliable in picking up valid alarm situations (including vehicles approaching the house; a fox; deer and numerous squirrels)

Here is how I set them up...

On the Camera:

- Don't check Motion Detection;

- Check Smart Event;

- Enable Line Crossing Detection
- Set Arming Schedule Linkage... Notify Surveillance Center and Send Email

On the NVR (accessed via browser):

- Camera Settings --> VCA - Enable and set the arming schedule;
- Linkage Method check "Send Email" under Normal Linkage
- Check the Channel under Trigger Channel

-
Camera Settings --> Motion Detection Uncheck Enable Motion Detection

- Camera Settings --> Schedule Settings: set schedule to VCA

Oddly I seemed to have to set have the Send Email linkage set up on both the NVR and Camera to have this work!!

Hope this helps...

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did get line detection working but i have given up with false alarms, my camera covers a driveway in front of a house, there is a road that runs top of screen left to bottom right, front of drive has a wall with obvious opening for access, each time a car passes at night the headlight wash enters the gap and trips each and every method available with my camera ( motion, line detection and intrusion ), if i choose to set motion at its lowest setting it trips a recording, if i set line detection too low it fails to pick up anuything, higher numbers just get tripped, same for intrusion, i have messed with all various settings with each option but headlights are a nightmare, the light bounces off bushes, houses, lamp posts... some cars go by with headlights at full, flashing lights again cause big issues and trip the recordings.. during the day no problem, i only get what enters the covered areas but at night especially around rush hour when the road gets used as a rat run, its trip trip trip, i guess i have to live with it