Linksys Router to Comcast Modem

GH75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
With my former company, we used to put a Linksys WRT54GL router in place. We would use it to separate the camera network from the clients network. It also allowed us to assign an IP address to the router and we addressed everything the same on the camera side from site to site.

For example the NVR's always started at 10.1.0.51, cameras at 10.1.0.101, etc.

Eventually I want to to use VPN but for now, keeping it simple.

For the life of me I can not access this router on my network. I can log into the router when plugged into the router, but not from a PC plugged into a switch.

Is there something I need to do on the Comcast router?

I have read about cloning the mac address of a PC for the router, but I swear we never did this before

GH75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I got it all sorted. My Comcast modem is 10.0.0.1

I set the linksys Router internet address to static IP of 10.0.0.37

Set the router local IP to 10.10.10.1

I had some issues with my laptop connecting to the internet and I was using the multiple IP address feature. I then realized I did not have multiple gateways. Added 10.10.10.1 and all was good.

Opened some ports on the Linksys and Comcast device and all is good.

I setup DynDNS with sub domains and put that in the Linksys.

Can see the DVR from PSS across the router, from my phone, through the net, etc :triumphant:

I feel so proud, I remembered some and figured the rest out. I know for Nayr this would have been a cake walk.... LOL

Next lesson will be VPN

Last edited by a moderator:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Your connecting a router to a router? I believe the device you have from Comcast is an all in one gateway (not just a modem) or Dory device as it is referred to within Comcast (device capable of phone, internet, wireless AP/router). So you have created two different networks which is why you are having issues as you will need a VPN established to go from the local to wide network.

Also take a look at this guide depending on what your trying to accomplish.
http://www.wikihow.com/Connect-Two-Routers

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You should be able to put the comcast combo in bridge mode...you might be better off simply replacing the modem/router combo particularly if they are charging you a monthly fee which is a complete ripoff.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah if your renting a comcast modem just go buy a basic modem and put it in bridge mode; then your Linksys will get a routable IP and life will be good.

GH75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is not for personal use. I am just trying it here at my house and getting everything sorted out.

I know this is how my former company used to do it and I just wanted to duplicate it. I believe they did it like this because the WRT had VPN and there was also some custom firmware available for other functions.

The primary objectives are:
keep camera network off clients network
Keep the average user from accessing cameras or NVR's directly
allow remote access to multiple NVR's

There probably is a better way to do it, but this will work for now